That Empty Feeling

dave m

while not having posted anything yet I have downloaded many songs from this forum and have noticed on most songs I get a feeling of there being something missing. The same is true of the songs that I have recorded.
Many of the songs are very good. After listening to it the first time I like to go to another room and listen to it from far away and see if it catches my interest. When it does alot of times it still seems as though there could be a little more going on with the music. I know that this is an arrangement issue but thought I'd bring it up anyhow.
Could it be that most people are being a little too cautious in terms of not wanting too make it too busy?
I hope people here take this as it is intended. If I am full of it and need to listen in a different way let me know.
I have the fullest respect for the people here trying to master Art of Recording.
Respectfully,
davem

"When it does alot of times it still seems as though there could be a little more going on with the music. I know that this is an arrangement issue but thought I'd bring it up anyhow."

Going on in what way, I guess would be my question. Depending on the style of music - I wouldn't call AC/DC boring. Simple music, but very powerful. Busy music is hell to mix, and usually half the tracks don't add anything at all. Unless they are executed perfectly.

What is it that you would like to hear, that you are not hearing? Fidelity, production, mastering? Better songs? What's the missing link?

Back