that chord

Acoustic guitar – favour D/A/E (der), but I am always trying to work them off there blues friend E to G, D to F, etc – just what I’m doing at the moment

Electric guitar – riffs first chords later

Keys – Any of the black majors and their relative minors e.g. Ab major/F minor

I just find it easier to play with the maths of it all to try and brake tried progression – melodies usually come to me fairly quickly then

If you are going to sing them you're going to gravitate to chords/key in your range. Just last night I was working on a song with Fsus9 (Key of C) as it's focal point. But after determining it was in a girl's key, I transposed it to Asus9 (Key of E).

Another example of this last night - wrote the song in G but couldn't sing it. I transposed it to F# and that's where it stays....:D

i tend to use chromatic mediants a lot. i love the sound.

planing with a chord ala debussy-esque stuff sorta just comes out i guess.

i love the major and minor 9 chords. they're great to add tension.

especially when the 9 is voiced to go against the third.

Depending on the instrument, guitar or piano, I do tend towards the same.

on piano, as mentioned, I'll play different voicings of chords so I don't have to venture (too) far off the white keys. C Dm Em F G Am. That said, I have many songs that start in Am to C, Em to G etc

on guitar, I like to use open chord voicings so I tend to ring out the high E and or B string in many chords. One example I use alot is an Am chord tabbed out like this:

-0-
-0-
-5-
-7-
-0-
-x-

Depending on the instrument, guitar or piano, I do tend towards the same.

on piano, as mentioned, I'll play different voicings of chords so I don't have to venture (too) far off the white keys. C Dm Em F G Am. That said, I have many songs that start in Am to C, Em to G etc

on guitar, I like to use open chord voicings so I tend to ring out the high E and or B string in many chords. One example I use alot is an Am chord tabbed out like this:

-0-
-0-
-5-
-7-
-0-
-x-

cool stuff....I tend to do those kinds of chords on my acoustic.

On my electric, especially when I'm jazzing it up, I go for 6/9 chords, maj7, or maj9 chords.

Back