That black **** in new strings

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Restrung 3 of my guitars this morning and every one of the unwound strings had that black crap on them. This has been going on for years, and I'm not impressed. How do they get away with this???? There oughta be a law.

Restrung 3 of my guitars this morning and every one of the unwound strings had that black crap on them. This has been going on for years, and I'm not impressed. How do they get away with this???? There oughta be a law.

What strings do you use? What black crap?

Dean Markley - and they are enclosed in a plastic sealed pouch so that means the crap is already on the strings when they package them.

Ah. Okay.

Note to self - do not use Dean Markleys.

You ever use Ernie Balls? I like them. Cheap, common, no black crap.

I'm surprised no one so far has had this problem.
I just sent an email to Dean Markley to complain.
Maybe I'll get a free set of black dotted strings....lol

Stop picking your nose when you restring your guitar. No wait, that's DogBreath. :D

Martins on my acoustic. Ernie Ball on my electrics. No black stuff.

Anyone ever do any of the internet guitar string clubs or bulk orders?

Elixir's on all my guitars right now, but the big reason I use those are they last a pretty long time for me...When I gigged Ernie Ball all the way though....

I vaguely remember an insert on a pack of strings years ago where they said the black dots were harmless and had something to do with being processed to be environmentally friendly. Well I'll probably get that from Dean Markley if they ever answer me.

I can't say that I've ever had any black stuff on a set of new strings. D'Addario on my electrics, Martins on my acoustic. And before that, Ernie Ball for electric and D'Addario for acoustics. I only had my fingers turn black when I left an acoustic unplayed for a few years and then played it for an evening.

The only Dean Markleys that I ever used were those blue steel things they used to sell (maybe still do?). Cryo-frozen or something. They were so overpriced, but I had to try them once. They were meh.

Speaking of overpriced strings, I'm using D'Addario NYXL lately. I got 12 free sets when I bought my Tele last year. I change strings like once every few months, so these will last me a year or two. Just long enough for me to get used to them and feel obliged to pay $13 per set rather then get used to something else...

Ernie's on my electrics, fender flats on my semi acoustic bass, D'Adds on my solid bass.
I haven't seen the black stuff on any strings. How about pics Ido?

Curt Mangan....top notch strings, no black crap.
I switched to them about 7 years ago, and I never looked back...and I've used GHS, EB, Everly Rockers, D'Addario, Fender, and probably a couple others....though can't say I ever used Dean Markley strings.

BTW...Curt Mangan was Director of Sales for EB for many years, until he broke off to start his own string line.

I had been using Dean Markley‘s Vintage Electric Re-Issue strings until a couple of years ago. I purchased a box of 12 sets and every set had bad plating and black spots. Soon after that they stopped selling those particular stings. I've switched back to D'Addario which are not quite as rugged but they have consistent plating.

Back