Thanksgiving Day (2:37) [rock]

Thanks! Always good to hear comments from someone with fresh ears. I uploaded a newer version to the same site - brought up some bass lowered some highs on the guitars plus some other stuff. Still not perfect but it sounds better I think.

Guitars are indeed shrill, but not THAT much, it seems to fit with the song. Try cutting a little bit of high-mid and boosting some low-mid. Just a bit though.

Get that hi-hat centered ;)

Try a better mic on the vocals if you got on (large condensor would do you good I think). The backing vocals are very nice :) Nothing amazing on either the lead or the backing though. Try a bit (more) compression on the lead vocals aswell.

Kinda cheesy, but I like it.

I don't like the drum machine, heh. Everything is alright. Guitar sounds kinda.. meh. It's a bit mushy, not too defined. It just sounds like fuzz. I guess it kinda works for the song though.

My 2 cents.

I like the guitars. They sort of fit the vibe of the song.

Drums, I don't think the sound of the drums are bad. But the drum mix in general is sort of thin. The kick and snare on a song like this should be smacking you in the face. Also, the cymbals, especially the hit, being spread so wide is unnatural sounding. The drum track in general is also a bit robotic sounding. It needs to be loosend up.

Bass tone is good. Could be brought up in the mix a bit.

Background vox could be up in the mix a bit. All in all, I like the vocals.

Nice Job.

Great comments! Thanks.

I'm stuck with my Motif workstation drums but let me ask you guys a question. I've asked this in the forum before but got no response. I have really no desire or space to buy a drumset, learn it, and mic it. BUT I WAS thinking about maybe getting one or two pieces (say a snare and a high-hat?) and combining those with the rest of my 'fake' drums for added realism. Dumb idea? Cool idea? Anybody done it? What piece (or two) would make the most sense?

On the lead vocals, I actually DID use a large condensor (for this sone I used a Studio Projects C1) and compressed pretty heavily already using a RNC set on 'real nice' mode. I guess it's hard to tell sometimes with those guitars screeching in the background, eh?

Thanks again guys - this is really helpful!

Yea - I have had pretty good luck with the same mic/preamp combo (Grace 101) before on less busy material. I'm guessing it has to do with the abundence of fairly high crunch on the guitars. Hmm... now that I think about it - I wonder if that's why dynamics are often used in rock music - maybe it doesn't make as much of a difference to the ears if you have loud guitars filling up the mix.... interesting

Just for continuity, I did apply many of the suggestions here into the new mix (posted to the same location). I think it sounds a bit better - a little more punchy on the low end (multi-band compression mostly) and I let more drums ring through. Also adjusted some EQ and levels on the vocals.

I found myself making a compromise between drums and electric guitar manifesting itself on the mix compression/limiting for volume. I'm sure this must be a common trade-off but is there a cleaner way to do it? In other words to get the snare hits (and other parts of the drums to come out) I had to sacrifice some of the 'loudness' of the guitars and the overall track. I really hadn't had this problem before - but this is the first song that I really relied on a lot of pretty seriously distorted guitar tracks. These guitar tracks, while nice and big, really seem to get in the way of just about everything they come up against!! lol

Back