Thank god I have ribbons

Han

After recording for some twenty five years with all kind of bands, orchestras, choirs and whatever, I finally had to record a kind of ancient music band with bagpipes.

The band has two guitarists (acoustic), an upright bass, violin, an instrument what we call 'hakkebord' in Holland which is a gipsy kind of forerunner of the piano and the bagpipes which were played by a woman who also played a number of whistles.

My dear friends, ever been trying to record bagpipes next to a violin? Bagpipes are loud and I mean LOUD !

Lucky enough the trackingroom is quite big, so I put the bagpipes at some distance from the violin and upright and recorded it with a DIN pair of Beyer M260's and a LDC on the backside where the lows come from the longest pipe.

The sound is gorgeous which I'm very happy with.

Ribbons guys, ribbons is all you need for difficult instruments like bagpipes, thin whistles, violin etc.

northsiderap said:
Allright - - - we heard the story now lay some MP3s on us so we can judge for ourselves...

The band ain't finished yet, will come back in two weeks and mixing will take place in three weeks.

Peace, Han

noisedude said:
You always have to spoil it, don't you. :)

I like bagpipes. I have a set of uilleann pipes. But one time Fiona Ritchie did an entire show on the Northumbrian smallpipes, and I wanted to kill someone. Not her, she's got that Scottish accent :o Just somebody nearby.

I was talking to an engineer the other day about recording bagpipes, and he said he had the best results by tracking them outside.

His philosophy was that bagpipes are instruments that were made to be listened to outside, so why not record them that way. Kinda makes sense.

Although, it seems that's maybe not an option for you, since it sounds like you were tracking things in a live fashion.

I'd love to try recording bagpipes someday though.

EleKtriKaz said:
I'd love to try recording bagpipes someday though.

i was in the pep band when i was at UVA and we had a guy who played bagpipes. he always played the same freaking little ditty (it was the only thing he could play, i think), and god yes, they were LOUD.

i would thing that micing them from a distance in a LARGE room would be a MUST......and outside, on a calm day, might not be too bad an idea.

i like bagpipes plenty when they're tastefully played (and i've got scottish ancestry, so i oughta ;))......but my god, in the hands of an incompentent......i'd rather scratch out my ears with icepicks. :D

cheers,
wade

Back