Testing 1 2 3 ....

X

My only condensor mic so far, other than some radio shacks, is a CAD E-100, which has been good for the price. All my other mics are dynamics, such as SM-58's. When money becomes available, I'll buy another condensor mic.

A friend of mine just let me borrow a case containing:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>CAD E-200
<LI>Rode NT-1
<LI>a matched pair of AT 4033a's
</UL>

I would like to put the mics through their paces in the next few days before I have to give 'em back. So I will do a lot of A/B recording (same thing on each track of a VS1680, but using a different mic for each track). I'll use drums,acoustic guitar, voice (then again, there is only so much a mic can do for you :), and an upright piano. Anything else I should do to test them? Any thoughts on these mics?

Oh, and does anyone know of an internet resource that has these types of A/B comparisons in downloadable .wav (not mp3) files? That would be very helpful for people buying mics that can't borrow them all.

[This message has been edited by X (edited 06-03-2000).]

x, a few posts down on this page is a post named "CAD E100 vs" that may give you some answers...mentions nt's and 4033a's in the responses....also, I think there is a mike comparison test somewhere....you may have to search a little for it from the main microphones page, above right on that page, pick the number of days you wanna go back, click go, page numbers will appear at bottom...I think Recording Engineer made the comparisons, but I'm not for sure....gibs

[This message has been edited by gibs (edited 06-03-2000).]

Thanks gibs. Does anyone think it would be cool to set up an idrive account with some audio comparisons of various mics?

Sure. I'd be interested in hearing how different mics compare to others.

NT1, NT2, 4033, that one really expensive Neumann (u87? i think thats it).

Id be most interested in hearing how much difference there is between something like the U87 and say, an NT1, where the cost difference is quite a bit. Maybe on something like drum overheads too...id just be curious.

So be it then. I'll record various things with the mics - and then put up some organized links to the wav files with some places for commentary.

Do you think it would be better to
A. stick 'em all together in a wad and record the same performance
B. try to place them in the exact same spot which would mean different performances?

X

Hmmm, ya...im not entiretly sure. I would say multiple performances using a different mic each time, although if you wanna do it the other way I wouldnt mind at all.

X, can't remember the article but jingling keys was one test that is supposed to be tough to accuratley duplicate.

Layth

I may be crude but what the hell,I am an American and that's my Fucking birth Rite!!! unless you tell me you are shooting for a deal, spend 800.00 for a mic and.... you can do a lot in a home recording situation but you need two things... talent and time. 57's are cool

Back