Test mix (new way to track flute)

Tonio

Yo yo yo , been a while since I posted anything.
Just wanted to share a new way to track a flute(flutist insisted on doing it this way). e.g. 1 mic and another with a miked amp?? ugh , I dreaded it but it wasn't too bad.
Ya'll may have heard the tune before.

Pls let me know what you think.

T

P.S. , Man I NEED a acoustic guitarist on this one. :D

Tune is blacko
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=205899

Sounds Great, the flute sounds good and classical.

Nice percussion on this one.

Good mix and Yes thumbs up :)

thanks for sharing :)

I have to add that this song was very influential to me when I was a kid. I heard a recording on nylon string guitar and the beauty and mystery of it transported me. I've been trying to copy that sound ever since.

I've used an amp with flute a few times n the dim past. The results weren't too bad & your combo is even better.
Is this a case of the flautists actually knowing how to record the instrument or just some perversity?
Nice piece, very subtle in its swing.
The only thing I don't like is the keyboard tone - sounds too much like a bad flute to sit beside a real one. Perhaps a different sound altogether?
Regardless - NICE WORK.

Thanks Naka.

Tim, I can send you a gtr-less file w/ click in.

Thanks Rayc. Well the flautist is on the green side as far as recording. I have recorded him (Mike)on a few tunes, and he's catching on well. As long as he knows the tune, its usually good. Retaking solo's and punching in still could use some help. This tune he just brought in the amp, since he usually plays live more, and just wanted to test it out. He had a delay stomp box.
I'm suprised I didn't get much bleed from the other mic (414>Grace 101) since it was in the same room only about 4' away. On the amp I used a GT44 > A Designs P-1.

T
rayc said:
Is this a case of the flautists actually knowing how to record the instrument or just some perversity?

Oh yeah, this sounds great. In the mix the flute sticks out as the star of the piece, which sounds good. The playing is excellent too. Can't wait to hear Tim add to this :)

Nice tune, always liked this one. It all sounds fine, the flute could have just a tad of reverb on it. Nice,, very soothing.

SD5050 thanks bro!!
David-Thanks but its actually got some verb in there. The amp'd mic track has a stomp box delay dealio, and the miked flute has a verb send w/ about 1.7 sec's. IMO overall its on the wet side. I tend not to put too much verb, since it gets murky(lack of mixing skills) if I use too much. Have any suggestions?

T

DavidK said:
Nice tune, always liked this one. It all sounds fine, the flute could have just a tad of reverb on it. Nice,, very soothing.

Tonio said:
SD5050 thanks bro!!
David-Thanks but its actually got some verb in there. The amp'd mic track has a stomp box delay dealio, and the miked flute has a verb send w/ about 1.7 sec's. IMO overall its on the wet side. I tend not to put too much verb, since it gets murky(lack of mixing skills) if I use too much. Have any suggestions?

T
On my headphones it certainly doesnt sound wet. Its fine how it is, a lil more reverb wouldnt hurt.

Also, the synth flute sound was confusing at first. I thought it was the flute, until the real flute came in. :D

Black O. w/gtr

Hey guys, give me some feedback on how this is working. I added a rhythm part, double tracked, staying in a narrow midrange area of the gtr to keep out of the way of the flute and bass. I think maybe it'd work better without so many of the short chromatic runs that I put in, and the gtrs are too loud in this quick mix. But generally, am I going in the right direction?

Timothy Lawler said:
Black O. w/gtr

Hey guys, give me some feedback on how this is working. I added a rhythm part, double tracked, staying in a narrow midrange area of the gtr to keep out of the way of the flute and bass. I think maybe it'd work better without so many of the short chromatic runs that I put in, and the gtrs are too loud in this quick mix. But generally, am I going in the right direction?

Sounds not only good, but appropriate. Agreed, your job in this is to do what you did and be a backup man. I gotta remember this :D I always want to put in 6 zillion notes when in fact my "job" is to play beds in the background.

Really clean and classical sound. Loved the listen. Surprised that amp and flute micing technique worked so well. Thanks for sharing with us.

Back