Terrible Reverb....

A1A2

Hello all,

I've recently moved back to taiwan and due to the space limitation, I am kinda stuck with one layout. My speakers are in a corner, one against a glass window, and the other one against a closet..., and therefore, giving me terrible reverb. So, I was wondering, without moving around, what can I add to help my situation. Would diffusers help? if so, what size, and where should I position them?

room.gif

thanks,
Al

Oops. You said you didn't want to move around. Well, I say get some rigid fiberglass, some acoustically transparent fabric and make some absorbers. Hang them where you hear the reverb coming from and you'll be OK.

The room looks way to small for diffusers, meaning oddly-surfaced reflectors. You'd want absorbtion more than anything, I would think...

But shifting the layout probably will help quite a bit, so if that's feasible, I'd do that first since its a free option :)

thanks a bunch, guys. Moving around isn't really an option right now (i have played with the layout, and this is the best solution as far as having a comfy living goes)

But, I am definitely interested in hanging stuff. So, is it just a matter of finding the problematic spots by ear and hang absorbers there rather than scientific calculation?

thanks,
Al

Thats one way to do it. Make a few absorbers, and hang them like picture frames in areas you think might be troublesome, like behind the speakers.

Try moving them around (have someone hold them up) to see if things improve, or get worse, and if necessary, make a few more.

frederic said:
Thats one way to do it. Make a few absorbers, and hang them like picture frames in areas you think might be troublesome, like behind the speakers.

Try moving them around (have someone hold them up) to see if things improve, or get worse, and if necessary, make a few more.

Frederic,

Thanks, how about the demensions of the absorbers? and, do I need to worry about the glass window area? Or just let the bass travel its way to my neighbor's room, lol?

Al

A1A2 said:
Frederic,

Thanks, how about the demensions of the absorbers? and, do I need to worry about the glass window area? Or just let the bass travel its way to my neighbor's room, lol?

Al

2'x4' is a decent size.

I'd put a small nail just above the window, and hang one there to start, especially if you have a monitor (speaker) there...

Quick Update

Ok, so I went out and bought some rigid fiberglass and woods, and I'm planning on building four 2'x4' panels, and each will be a couple of inches thick. Now, I've read that you would need at least 4" thick rigid fiberglass for them to be effective, so I was wondering what if I pack 4" of fiberglass into a 2"-3" think panels. Would that be enough???

Thanks,
Al

Sure. Thinner fiberglass absorbers, if I understand correctly, will absorb sound in the mid to high frequency ranges. It's suggested to go thicker so you can absorb the lows that linger in the corners of your room as well as the other ranges. I thnk that's how it is.

thanks, chris. Another quick question about absorbors, I was under the impression that they are sealed boxs packed with rigid fiberglass inside, but, wouldn't the wooden panels cause some sort of reflection? Maybe I'm making a huge mistake here.....

Al

Last edited:
Al,

> wouldn't the wooden panels cause some sort of reflection? <

You're asking about wood panel traps such as those from my 1995 article in Electronic Musician:

www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

Yes, the wood front panels do reflect mid and high frequencies, but often this is an advantage. If you use a lot of material that absorbs not only bass but mids and highs, it can make a room too dead sounding. The goal is to get an even balance of absorption at all frequencies.

--Ethan

Thanks alot for the reply, Ethan!

Whoa, what a whole new perspective to look at this. So, the wooden panels bounce off "some" mids and highs while the rest gets absorbed, and since the bass frequencies don't stop at thin panels, they go straight into the rigid fibergass, is my understanding correct??

EDIT:
After looking at your link, I realised that I failed to leave any space between the fiberglass and wooden panel....Should I redo it or?

Again, thanks a million for everyone's replies!!

Al

Last edited:
Al,

> So, the wooden panels bounce off "some" mids and highs while the rest gets absorbed <

Almost. High frequencies are all reflected, but as you go lower - say, around 500 Hz - the trap starts to absorb more and more. When you get down to the frequency the trap is tuned to absorption is maximum. Then as you go lower still the absorption falls off and the sound passes through the trap to the wall behind. The wall then reflects back through the trap into the room as if the trap were not there.

> since the bass frequencies don't stop at thin panels, they go straight into the rigid fibergass, is my understanding correct?? <

Not quite. At the frequency a wood panel trap is tuned to, the wood itself is the absorbing mechanism. Sound strikes the wood, the wood vibrates in sympathy, and the fiberglass inside damps the wood's vibration so it doesn't continue to "ring" after the original sound stops. Since it takes energy to make the wood vibrate, that energy is removed from the room.

> I failed to leave any space between the fiberglass and wooden panel....Should I redo it or? <

Yes, you should redo it. If the fiberglass is actually touching the wood, the wood is not able to vibrate freely. Again, it's the wood's vibration that absorbs, not the fiberglass inside.

--Ethan

Ethan,

Thanks! It all makes sense now. I'm glad I've only sealed 1 of the 4 (or more)panels I'm planning on making:)

Al

Back