Tempo Machine

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
So at band practice the other night I went off, declaring the need for a tempo machine. Needless to say my friend and drummer is no longer returning my calls. Is there any reconcilliation? :D

/idiot.

Maybe your tact was off. I'm not sure, but I do know that you are right.

We are in the digital age, and drummers who refuse to use a click track are not worth it. They're close-minded about it. It's one thing to not want to use a click track after you've mastered using one, but to refuse to learn is a weakness.

In the studio a click track is essential because then you'll know that the tempo is consistent.

Granted, there are thousands of hits that you and I love that were recorded without clicktracks, but now-a-days, real studio drummers can use them, even if they choose not to.

The fact that your drummer is ticked off (no pun intended) means he feels threatened.

Some drummers don't lead the band. That's a huge problem. They actually are listening to the other band members to set the pace. A drummer should have no mercy for others. He plays and plays, and the others need to keep up.

KaveKong said:
Some drummers don't lead the band. That's a huge problem. They actually are listening to the other band members to set the pace. A drummer should have no mercy for others. He plays and plays, and the others need to keep up.

Yeah totally agreed! Sometimes a click track might be necessary, but it's not entirely important. Often, the feel comes from tempo changes. As long as the drummer doesn't go totally off, then leading without a click can be great, as long as the drummer IS LEADING (like you said) - the drummer can't just follow, or the music fails!

I can believe he was insulted, whether or not you think he SHOULD be. He'll get over it hopefully for you. It's important he does what he feels comfortable doing though - I think if he doesn't want to use a click track that shouldn't be a problem, but he would have to learn to stay consistent. A good way might be to ask him to practice more TO music (playing with the music which isn't changing tempo), since it does the same as playing to a click, but doesn't feel like it. That will build consistency though, and he still has to make sure he's leading the music when you're all playing together.

Back