Tempo Correction

jjjtttggg

Anybody know how to correct a drifting tempo in a track that's already recorded in Reaper? It's not really noticable just listening to it, but I want to add drums and I don't play drums well enough to literally "play along" so I'd like to adjust the track to keep it to a strict tempo so I can quantize the midi of my drum playing and be in time with the track. I suppose I can try to move each drum hit that little bit, but man what a pain that would be. So I'm looking for some tool to say highlight the downbeats in the music and have the software stretch and compress the track to maintain a constant tempo. Can it be done?

The results of quantizing MIDI depends on how well you played it.
As for fixed audio, I don't think Reaper supports that feature ( not that I know of )

Apple garageband supports that feature, but it's not as good as they claim it te be imo.

There are a number of ways of fixing your problem.

One is to highlight a bar (i.e. what you've actually played, not what the markers say) and go Alt-Shift-C. This will calculate the tempo on that bar and adjust the scale accordingly. This means, though, doing it bar by bar.

There is probably a better way of doing it on a larger scale than a bar.

Another option is to stretch or compress a section of the recorded WAV to fit the existing tempo. You can do this by splitting the WAV into chunks where it goes off tempo, then use Alt-click then drag to either lengthen or shorten the selection.

Back