tempo change

kid_nova

Does anyone have any advice on how to make effective tempo changes? I know it probably depends on the genre, but I'm just looking for ideas. I've tried listening to other music for ideas, but haven't really found anything too inspiring.

Cant really say about tempo its very subjective.You could try modulation {pitch}1/2 step or hole step up or down depending on if your feel goes up or down.It will give interesting effects to tempo changes.I've used it in rock songs usally on the outros .Hole step up and 8 feel against 4.Dont know if this helps...

Don

Last edited:
I think you will have to expand a bit on your question...the genre of music you're applying the tempo change to ( if there is one ) and maybe the actual change in BPM. If your not sure of the BPM there is a handy tool called TapTempo which lets you measure it, and its free...somewhere, I'll try and get the link if no-one else knows it.

I assume you mean tempo change and not time signature change, i.e. changing from 4/4 into 3/4 or something along those lines ?

pAp.

First off, thanks for the advice. Yes I mean tempo changes. I'm looking for ideas for any genre. A group of guys that I get together with does mostly punk rock stuff, so if you have any ideas about that, I'm open.

When I make up the music, I usually have a transition in mind, but the guitarist has a tune that we're having trouble with. The chorus is slow and the verse is fast. The verse is about twice as fast as the chorus.

Thanks again

Listen to Mudhoney "If I Think" . . .

and all will be revealed. Tempo AND key signature change AND volume change. And it's a great song. If you don't have it, might I suggest Kazaa.com

Last edited:
Actually, worked on a tempo change last week. We decided to do a "grand pause", then count into the next tempo/rhythm change (straight to swing). A solo can good for a transition, too.

Example:

Australian rock band - Cold Chisel - Khe Sahn - it's a small change in tempo in the final 'chorus'. I'm not a durmmer to describe it, however the standard tempo, then a drum roll on the snare to a crash cymbal there is a drum roll to a crash cymbal then straigh into the new tempo.

Hope that helps...

Porter

I believe TapTempo is from AnalogX. I don't know the URL, but you could search it.

I have a song that goes from about 85bpm for the first two verses and choruses and then speeds up to about 110bpm for the ending. There is also a distinct change in feel from acoustic guitar and voice (+ other things added--cello, drum loops, etc.) to a straight guitar-rock feel. I just put a 4 bar build in between the two sections. The drummer did this kind of tom based beat thing to build it up. So that is one solution that I think would have worked really well. I think I am going to change it though, so that during the build, everything drops out but the voice (a really high note, that sustains and crescendos) and a bunch of weird noises that build up and then all of a sudden, there is this rock and roll part.

I think both ways would work though--building up and speeding up with the full band or having a stop that distracts the ear long enough that you can come in at a new tempo.

Back