Telephone, Radio, and Bullhorn Effect??

Raydio

Im trying to achieve a sound on my vocals that emulates talking on the phone, another one to emulate talking over a bullhorn, and another one emulating talking over the telephone. What EQ settings, other plugins, etc. can I use to do this besides the preset Telephone effect in Cool Edit??

Try eq using a bell shaped curve with the peak in the 1.5k area. Cut the low end around below 400 mhz and the high above 2.5-3k. You may have to play with the high and low end when mixing with other tracks to get it right. You might also try singing through a distortion pedal if the eq route fails.

'Tis the summer of old threads, ain't it? :D

As long as we're here, I'll mention that just this past Saturday on SNL (it was a repeat) the musical guest was the band Arcade Fire. One fo their singers actually went so far as to jerry rig mount a megaphone right on his mic stand. Talk about lazy; at least Tom Waits carried his himself :D.

G.

'Tis the summer of old threads, ain't it? :D

As long as we're here, I'll mention that just this past Saturday on SNL (it was a repeat) the musical guest was the band Arcade Fire. One fo their singers actually went so far as to jerry rig mount a megaphone right on his mic stand. Talk about lazy; at least Tom Waits carried his himself :D.

G.

Considering all the instrument swapping they do during a set, this doesn't really surprise me. I got to record and mix them for an episode of Pancake Mountain and I enjoyed them quite a bit.

Considering all the instrument swapping they do during a set, this doesn't really surprise me. I got to record and mix them for an episode of Pancake Mountain and I enjoyed them quite a bit.
Coolness! Are you on the PM staff (Guillaume?) or did you swing a freelance gig? And is Garnett as cute in person as in her picture? :D

As far as Arcade Fire, I did like that they brought a full-on crew with them on the show, including an actual small string section and horn section. I also like their fascination and use of many eclectic instruments including the hurdy gurdy (sp?) However, I found the frontman's smashing of his guitar at the end of the first song a la Pete Townsend to be a poorly calculated stunt and nothing but a pretty stupid waste of a perfectly good guitar (with apologies to John Hiatt ;)) You'd think that a bunch of guys so into music arrangement and instrumentation would have more brains and respect than that.

G.

Back