Technical help needed!

H2oskiphil

It needs more cowbell!
I'm confused.

I've got a Yamaha B200 (It's a YS200 with speakers...). I'm not thrilled with the factory presets, and have downloaded multiple editor programs (specifically, a Yamaha 4-op editor/librarian from Blue Bear Software, as well as a demo version of Bitheadz software) with additional sounds from the net.

Trying to get the B200 and the software to talk to each other has absolutely stumped me. I keep seeing things like "sysex messages" and "bulk dumps". I can build a computer, fix a VCR or stereo component, design and install a studio, but I can figure this stuff out for the life of me.

Can someone point me to a resource that will explain in basic terms what I've got to do to make these things work with each other? I'd like to be able to use the sounds from the sound library in the 4-op editor in my board. All I need to do is figure out how to get the patches from the computer to the keyboard.

The Yamaha manual is useless, BTW. It goes directly from "synthesizers for idiots" to "technical infor not even a trained engineer would understand"...

I'm not asking for anyone to start a "Keyboards Big Thread" like Harvey Gerst did on the mic board (However, if you WANT to...) to help newbies like me try to figure out what the hell we're doing. But a gentle shove in the correct direction (web sites, books, etc.) would be GREATLY appreciated.

not an easy thing to explain let me look and see if i have some info around that will help you i am keyboardist by musical trade when not recording and had to learn this crap years ago

I think you'll have to dump patches individually to the B200. All other 4-op FM synths have presets in multiples of 8 (32,64). The YS series have sound banks with 100 sounds each. The SYSEX strings would need to be modified if you were to perform a bulk SYSEX dump.

Don't quote me on that, but that was the impression I got while reading the MIDI implementation appendix on my DS55.

Back