Tears In Heaven - acoustic cover

Very nicely done! Actually, I thought the guitars sounded really nice up until the bass came in. Once that happened, it sounded boomy and a little cluttered down there. Honestly, I think you could just lose the bass, and it would sound great and solve the problem. But if you do really want the bass in there, then yeah, you'll have some EQ issues to address.

I thought the vocal sounded a tad bit edgy maybe in the upper mids.

Nice playing and singing. Such a sad song.

Interesting comments..i definitely have issues with the low end of the acoustic and the bass sitting together. The acoustic gets boomy in this room and i only have a few bass options to go with on the GNX3000 and none is very plentiful in the top end. That 200-400hz area is a battle between the bass and acoustics. Thought I fixed it well enough but the comments on that are split so far. In the car, it sounds nice and full though and I can clearly pick out the bass notes.

I'll leave this as is but make note for the future on mixing those 2 instruments. Thank you guys

Well played man! Props!

I must ask though, it sounds to me like the bass guitar is playing the same notes as the guitar, and not the proper lower notes in the progression as a bass player would do.

I would tune the bass guitar to cover the low end of the chords without stepping on the guitar. Albeit there are accents that are part of the progression, but I think the separation would do more pleasing justice to the tune.

I would approach it as a different instrument in regards to placement. I think the buildup and slight boomy feel there is just because you are playing bass like a guitar player and bass notes are the exact same octave as the low strings of the guitar. Go low and see how that works man. I bet it opens up the dynamics for you.

Well played man! Props!

I must ask though, it sounds to me like the bass guitar is playing the same notes as the guitar, and not the proper lower notes in the progression as a bass player would do.

I would tune the bass guitar to cover the low end of the chords without stepping on the guitar. Albeit there are accents that are part of the progression, but I think the separation would do more pleasing justice to the tune.

I would approach it as a different instrument in regards to placement. I think the buildup and slight boomy feel there is just because you are playing bass like a guitar player and bass notes are the exact same octave as the low strings of the guitar. Go low and see how that works man. I bet it opens up the dynamics for you.

Actually no, I played the bass part per the unplugged session. Checked against the tabs as well. You can tell in the chorus where it strays from the guitar root notes. The bass is played the way it is on unplugged.

Thanks for the listen and comments though. Hope you're well dude

I had to have a second listen when I saw the comment about the bass because on first listen I did not hear it. The unplugged session has different bass in places - yours sometimes has the octave bass so close to the tone of the lowest guitar string they combine - and when they play a 5th apart, as in the original, it doesn't work as a pedal note because they just sound like two notes played on the guitar. The Clapton version has a very bass light low end on the guitar that lets the acoustic bass fit in. Have you tried slicing the LF off the guitar and revealing the bass. It's close enough to the original that it will work fine - it's just a bit light - so a light bass and a heavy bottom string on the guitar are all that's adjustable.

To be honest, I didn't miss the bass - it's a really nice version.

I had to have a second listen when I saw the comment about the bass because on first listen I did not hear it. The unplugged session has different bass in places - yours sometimes has the octave bass so close to the tone of the lowest guitar string they combine - and when they play a 5th apart, as in the original, it doesn't work as a pedal note because they just sound like two notes played on the guitar. The Clapton version has a very bass light low end on the guitar that lets the acoustic bass fit in. Have you tried slicing the LF off the guitar and revealing the bass. It's close enough to the original that it will work fine - it's just a bit light - so a light bass and a heavy bottom string on the guitar are all that's adjustable.

To be honest, I didn't miss the bass - it's a really nice version.

See, I am not alone in my thoughts. :)

But I agree, a great job and props to you. I have never been a big Clapton fan myself. I enjoy your version better. :thumbs up:

Back