Team Science - long awaited time travel sequels

Hey Steve tried to find the VOX stacking thread, but gave up after 5 minutes of looking through your posts so anyway...Don't know if you stacked this VOX but the vocal sound on this is stellar. Tune has some cool influences and also your style which melds well together...The guitar work is great. As for the Mastered sound, on the computer it sounds strong and powerful, of course on any computer there will be zero bass, but I assume it's there in all it's glory.

The Mastered sound is on the money...really great work

Sorry! I posted this in another forum (where that thread happened) and forgot to change the text of this one.

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried to listen to mix 2 and latest, but they were in two different formats. Didn't think it was a good comparison. I thought both mizes sounded fine, so you must be searching for something deeper than I could hear.

I tried to listen to mix 2 and latest, but they were in two different formats. Didn't think it was a good comparison. I thought both mizes sounded fine, so you must be searching for something deeper than I could hear.

Those are the same mix; sorry I didn't clarify that. The final steps of my mixing process (including uploading a lossless flac to my server) are automated, so I just leave the "latest mix" link up in the OP. Then when I do a new mix, the old mix gets overwritten, and I post a mp3 copy here.

Thanks for the feedback!

Version

Hello, Steve!
I found out hat the overall balance of the the lattest mix had couple of little problems so I tried to fix them as far as it didn't kill the original feel of balance:

1.JPG

Then I used some multiband compression, some Pultec EQ to color up the mids and slightly restored highs with Ruby EQ, DrMS to improve the mono-compatibuility saving the original stereo field and then applied limiting to gain -9.0 lufs

Listened it in my ADAM A7 monitors and different decent earcans and I liked my version ;)
If you'd like it too - I'd be happy to help out anytime - there's a file in attachment - maybe that would be some hint for you for further reconsidering the mastering chain.

View attachment TeamScience.master.mp3

Have a nice time mixin'n'mastering! :cool:

Last edited:
You were working from the unmaster, I assume?

How do you do your multiband compression?
In this one, I compressed <80 Hz, phase inverted 80-800, left 800-8000 alone, and slightly compressed 8000+

I processed 4 bands: 0 - 180 Hz, 180 - 1450 Hz, 1450 - 11600 Hz and 11600 - 20000 Hz
Pressed them almost equally to -0.5 - 1 dB at thresholds about -3 to -4 dB,
and yep, I worked from the unmaster.

Thanks, Frank!

Theralion, do you have any idea about the theory of why you'd apply the same compression across all 4 bands? What's the advantage of that vs applying it across the whole track? Why those split points?

I picked magnitudes of 80 because I like the number 8 more than 6 or 7, and that's the general range I've heard for the top of sub bass frequencies. Everything else was boosting the low end for kick, boosting the high end for sparkle, and inverting phase to fix cancellation. I'm really flying by the seat of my pants here.

Back