Teac M15: The recording board that always confuses me.

SongJohnn

I've read through the manual plenty of times and I gotta say....I think I'm too dumb for it.
I want to know how I can use the 16 tracks I have with the 80-8 recorder. In other words, how can I use 8 drum mics/tracks on the mixer and send them to only two or three tracks on the tape machine? If I decide to record a live band someday, I would like to be able to use more than three mics on a drum kit.

Not to mention I have a 16 track board.....I'd hate to waste 8 of them, although I can see myself using two of them for echo returns. Anybody know about this sort of thing?

just like any mixer ..... the inputs are for the mics and the outputs go to the recorder.
On that board you have 4 buses so there are 4 outputs right there. You probably have a few aux sends also which would be more outputs.
You would choose which of the outputs you want to record and send those to the tape machine and simply assign the mics to which of the outs you want to go to each channel of recording.

So plug outs 1-4 into say, 1-4 inputs on the 80-8 ..... then press the little buttons on each channel that choose an output and that channel will go to that input on the 80-8.
So if you press the little #1 button on the 1st cahnnel, that channel will go to input #1 on the 80-8.
If you press number one on all the mixer channels all of those mics will go to channel 1 on the 80-8. If you press number 2 on the second channel and not no1 then the second channel will go to the second input of the recorder and so on.
If you press 1 AND 2 on a channel ..... then you can pan the track between those two channels on the recorder.
You could easily put all 16 channels of your mixer into a single channel of the 80-8 or more channels of the 80-8

The Model 15 has 8 groups, not 4.

But otherwise, yeah, what Bob is saying is how you want to think of it. "Sources" (mics, instruments, etc.) connect to the inputs of the 16 channels. Those 16 "sources" can be routed to any and/or all of the 8 groups, and those group outputs connect to the inputs of the 80-8, and then the outputs of the 80-8 connect to the 8 TAPE A IN jacks in the master section. Those jacks feed the monitor section so you can monitor the tape outputs while overdubbing, and then flipping the source of channels 1~8 of the input section to REMIX dumps those TAPE A IN jacks to the channels 1~8 when it is mixdown time.

The Model 15 has 8 groups, not 4.

But otherwise, yeah, what Bob is saying is how you want to think of it. "Sources" (mics, instruments, etc.) connect to the inputs of the 16 channels. Those 16 "sources" can be routed to any and/or all of the 8 groups, and those group outputs connect to the inputs of the 80-8, and then the outputs of the 80-8 connect to the 8 TAPE A IN jacks in the master section. Those jacks feed the monitor section so you can monitor the tape outputs while overdubbing, and then flipping the source of channels 1~8 of the input section to REMIX dumps those TAPE A IN jacks to the channels 1~8 when it is mixdown time.
oh .... eight groups?

Cool ......... that's mo' betta' ..... so he can just run one group to each channel of the 80-8. Shoot ...... that's perfect.

For some reason that link is broken...

Your input modules look like this?

The buttons right below the EQ section are the ones that let you pick through which group you want to route the signal to.

Wow, thanks for such a detailed answer....
What's confusing to me is that the channel on the m15 doesn't allow you the pick through whatever of the 8 busses you want. Look:

http://rainbowjoe.byethost9.com/Pictures/Teac 15 Modules Strips.JPG

Thank you so much for the help! Lt...I love your recording "midnight dream". Very inspirational. Any other '70s recordings you can share?!?! Thanks!!
wow ..... I'd forgotten about that ..... yeah, I have some more I might put up.

And yes .... your channels (at least according to the image I goggled) has buttons labeled 1-5, 2-6, 3-7 and 4-8 or something like that. So you press the top button and that channel goes to groups 1 and 5 and you pan it to either side to send it to only one.

Back