Teac A3440 PLAY mode problem

addy

Hi, It does FF & RW but no PLAY.
I am asking on behalf of someone with no idea regarding these or other gear and miles away from me.
They think the tape is threaded correctly.
I used these years ago but have forgotten what is required.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

There's a solenoid that pulls the rubber rollers into place. If it doesn't pull them up, it won't play.

Ask him if the rollers are engaging properly.
As sure fire way to know is to thread the tape, take the tension, hit play, then lift the rollers up by hand.

If this is the fault, it should jump into action.

If you're not certain about how you've threaded it, have a look on google images, or post up a picture of your threaded tape.

Hope that helps.

Thanks .....St. Eenamaroo
Thing is, I am not with the deck.
What is the worst case scenario this symptom could indicate?
Chrz

Defective capstan motor, I think.

I'm no pro here. I just happen to have owned a 3440 that had a sticky solenoid.

He should check to see if the capstan is turning.
If you don't know, check the thin metal spindle near the head assembly. The rubber rollers (that i talked about) lift into place and squash the tape metal the metal spindle and the rubber.

The metal spindle should spin in play mode.

298131288_o.jpg

It's most likely either the capstan belt gone, or the pinch roller arm frozen on its axle, or both.

With no tape loaded, if you lift the right hand silver arm up, it turns the capstan motor on. The capstan motor and shaft should start turning. You should also hear a faint whine of the motor which doubles in pitch when you go from low to high speed.

You can also do a test of the pinch roller arm on its axle. The roller should be able to be pushed freely up to the capstan shaft, and then spring back down again about half an inch when you let it go. It shouldnt be stiff either way.

For more details, post on the Analog Only forum.

Cheers Tim

I have a 3440 and yes the capstan belt does eventually stretch, go hard and drop off! You will get a week or so more out of it if you drop it in boiling water for 3 mins or so but you really need a new one. In UK I found one from Charles Hyde and Co.
I have built a wired remote for my machine but cannot source the 12 pin plug. Can anybody help?
N.B! The common schematic posted on the internet for a Teac r/c is NOT for the A3440! Anyone wanting to make one, PM me for the correct map.

Dave.

Hiya all, Sorry Apologies for not being here to respond. So there is a dedicated capstan motor which is a biggy if it fails. Anybody had one die on them? I knowthe deck has been unused for a fair old time so stiff, seized or deteriorated parts hopefully apply. Any idea of the value of the A3440?
Thanks

I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be the belts. I replaced them and now it is working.

Back