TEAC A3440 - No record light, no record.

addy

Lo all, I just acquired this, set it up and it will not record. No record light. I have applied taps and pressure to record button. 1-4 record lights on. These don't flash. Line in signal appears on meters. Any precedent appreciated before I go under the hood. (Edit, I have been inside & opened & closed some of the white pin connectors. I am a bit wary of forcing open the PCB connector behind the REC. button as I am not sure how it 'unlocks' I also tapped the associate relays & will focus on them asap. ) VU light dead too. Type & spec's. please? I need a capstan belt too as I am checking it with a rubber band. As any one listed overhaul hints and pointers? Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

I have opened/closed every pin connection block. I detected relay movement in response to pressing REC. REC button works OC/CC. There is a massive hum from CH1 when in PLAY. It goes if I disconnect the PB Head wiring first PCB pin connector block so the hum is from the head. The meter movement is battering the needle with FSD but at power on it takes 1-2 secs to rise so it could be oscillation. I recall being told that feedback loop oscillation could cook the head windings.
There are no flashing 1-4 leds which I guess should occur when depressed but no REC pressed?
Should the Rec. Led light just depressing REC regardless of unison pressing PLAY or PAUSE?

Last edited:
Oh well, circuit diagram time.

Later.......days later.... Well, I have opened & closed ever connector including boards.
If I can open the relays I will consider open/close by hand but I am worried about that unless I have established what they are switching.
I will check the power supply.

I was hoping for help regarding fault precedents and guides.

Last edited:
Hi anybody?????? Is this all a bit too technical for everyone?

While there are a few members here who do their own limited repairs and restorations on some models, we are mostly a group of "end users" as apposed to a group of electronic repair technicians, just waiting to walk people through complex service procedures.

When all else fails, find a local repair shop and help out your local economy by giving them some business.

Cheers! :)

'scuse me for asking.

. I recall being told that feedback loop oscillation could cook the head windings.
There are no flashing 1-4 leds which I guess should occur when button depressed but not requiring REC pressed too?
Should the Rec. Led light just depressing REC regardless of unison pressing PLAY or PAUSE?
................too technical??????

When all else fails, find a local repair shop and help out your local economy by giving them some business...........lol

THANKS BEATLEFRED...I am a member & I think I posted...........or not?

Last edited:
Lo all, I just acquired this, set it up and it will not record. No record light. I have applied taps and pressure to record button. 1-4 record lights on. These don't flash. Line in signal appears on meters. Any precedent appreciated before I go under the hood. (Edit, I have been inside & opened & closed some of the white pin connectors. I am a bit wary of forcing open the PCB connector behind the REC. button as I am not sure how it 'unlocks' I also tapped the associate relays & will focus on them asap. ) VU light dead too. Type & spec's. please? I need a capstan belt too as I am checking it with a rubber band. As any one listed overhaul hints and pointers? Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

I have opened/closed every pin connection block. I detected relay movement in response to pressing REC. REC button works OC/CC. There is a massive hum from CH1 when in PLAY. It goes if I disconnect the PB Head wiring first PCB pin connector block so the hum is from the head. The meter movement is battering the needle with FSD but at power on it takes 1-2 secs to rise so it could be oscillation. I recall being told that feedback loop oscillation could cook the head windings.
There are no flashing 1-4 leds which I guess should occur when depressed but no REC pressed?

Try pressing record and play at the same time.

Hi, Thanks. I knew that works, just wondered if REC alone would activate rec. mode such that when I am in the back I can simplify by reaching around pressing the fewest buttons to enter Record.

Back