Teac A 3440 Speed problems

glennb

I just got a Teac A 3440 Reel to Reel. I just can't get the speed to work properly. I have both size reels (7 and 10.5) and used the the reel adjustment switch and the fine tuned the speed selector switch. it's eithier too slow in one mode or too fast with the speed selector switch adjusting from one to the other. Just can't seem to get the right speed. The only other thing I see is maybe a slightly gummy pinch rollor.

I'm not talking about micron measurements, the sound eithier is way slow or way fast and thats' with the corrected reel and speed selector knob adjustments.

I have the manual and is there someone out there that has the answer?

Gummy pinch rollers are never a good thing...

But, are you sure that the variable pitch is not engaged? Knob should be pushed in.

Im not real familiar with that machine, but the next place to look is the capstan belt (if it has one, which I believe it does).

It definitely has a capstan belt, and could use a new one, especially if the belt is over 10 years old. Aside from that, find a service manual if there are other adjustments needed.

Is the "wrong" speed steady or is it drifting?

You need to open the back of the deck and check the capstan flat belt and see if your machine's capstan motor has pulley with two different diameter surfaces. One surface would be for 50 Hz and the other - for 60 Hz AC Power.
Sometimes when people change the belt they may install it onto the wrong pulley part.
In addition there may be an electrical slide selector switch there for 50/60 Hz. Both the belt position on the pulley and the switch position must be set correctly, if not the deck will not have correct speed.

What country are you located. Where (who) from did you buy your machine?

Dr Zee and others - thank you for getting back, it is very appreciated. I got the machine on ebay from a guy in CA so I don't know where he got it as far as 50-60 Hz. I would guess that adjustment is inside?
And while inside I will check the belt position. If I do need a belt, where would I get one? I am in NY.

The A-3440 is a great machine, hope you can get it fixed without too much difficulty. Belts are available from various sellers on Ebay:

teac a-3440 belt | eBay

Sam Palermo ("skywavebe") is probably the most knowledgable guy in the entire country on this subject, he can be found on Tapeheads.Net in the 'Reel to Reel' forums. Another guy, Russ, works for Teac/Tascam at the Paramus, NJ location.

Teac-Tascam Repairs - Skywave Tape Deck Repair - Bensenville, IL

Tascam Teac Audio Repair - New Jersey Factory Service, Inc. - Emerson, NJ

You can contact either of them via private message, or post on the forum, they will be happy to help answer any questions to get your 3440 fixed. Hope this info helps,

Fred (Queens, NY)

Back