Teac A-3440 Questions

tryan225

I have found other posts on the forum with a similar question but was hoping to get a concise answer. My 'new' 3440 works perfectly except it won't play. The pinch roller moves into place and the tape will even go with a little assistance from my hand. If you lift the tension roller without any tape and press play it will also go. When you put tape in, it just grinds to a halt.

I was also wondering how to correctly put tape in these big metal take up reels and how to remove the big black adapters so I can use small reels.

Okay, I opened up the machine and found that there simply is no capstan belt, only a few sticky shreds of what used to be one.

How do I acquire a new belt without paying too much and how do I put it back on without screwing anything up?

Thanks!

Call Teac (323) 727 4840,

A friend of mine just bought one a few months ago, $13.80 +S/H or thereabouts. You can probably get a manual from them as well, or PM me, I have a pdf, but about 8 megs.

i picked one up pretty cheap at https://www.daeinconline.com/

I'm still curious as how to remove the black things that hold the large reels so I can use small reels and how to get tape to stay on the big aluminum take up reels i have, as they don't have the little slits the small reels have.

i

I'm still curious as how to remove the black things that hold the large reels so I can use small reels

The silver spindle should pull and twist about a quarter turn and the large hub will then slide off. The silver spindle will then hold a 7" reel using the same twist and turn. I am assuming it works the same on the A-3300SX I have.

and how to get tape to stay on the big aluminum take up reels i have, as they don't have the little slits the small reels have.

The tape is just held down with friction, you hold the tape down on the reel and spin until you overlap it and it gets tension. It will then stay on teh take up reel. You can use special adhesive tape, but there is no reason to do so and you'll find its use discouraged here.

Followup:

The hub tie down may just screw and unscrew. (The pull and twist are the type on e.g. the 22-4. I have a 3300 which is the same vintage as your 3440, and the silver spindle just loosens a bit to line up the three sections and the 10.5 inch hub adapter will then slide off.

Back