teac a-2340

bean 123

i have resurrected my old machine to track some drums. It has been in a garage unused for 3 years. I have found that it FF's and REW's perfectly, but the motors don't seem to have the torque necessary to play the tape. if i help them along with my finger it plays just fine. i would think that if the motors worked (in FF & REW) than it can't be them. any help is hugely appreciated! i love this old beast!

Try a new tape. If you are using old tape it may be sticky and shedding.
I have had this happen to. Make sure the tape path is clean also.

bean 123 said:
i have resurrected my old machine to track some drums. It has been in a garage unused for 3 years. I have found that it FF's and REW's perfectly, but the motors don't seem to have the torque necessary to play the tape. if i help them along with my finger it plays just fine. i would think that if the motors worked (in FF & REW) than it can't be them. any help is hugely appreciated! i love this old beast!

Does the machine have a seperate drive belt for the Play/Record function only ? Could be that the belt is loose and needs replacing. You think ?

Daniel

The 2340 is pretty much like the 3340 except it has 7 1/2 ips as a high speed and only takes small hubs. Mine died years ago. I have a 3440 sitting around now that doesn't want to play right anymore ...alas old tape machines die.

KEVIN1600 said:
...alas old tape machines die.

Not neccessarily. I know of persons who treated their tape machines like shit and it didn't take long for these to expire. Others took good care of theirs and these keep on working good after 20+ years! It all depends on usage and maintenance.

One thing I can't stand is these abused, dirty open reel machines, I'd like to call "junkers", people put on eBay. In many cases these are the original owners. How can someone buy a brand new machine and then come present time, have a dirty, piece of garbage sitting somewhere in the corner ? I really don't understand that.

Daniel

i couldn't get good service around here for my teac 3440 . it has a play problem that doesn't happen all the time and i needed something more reliable than teac .i used a 488 mkll for awhile and have moved up to a boss 1600 cd now. WOW!!!!!!!!!!what a difference. NO MORE Q-TIPS. Maybe i should use my 3340 for an analog echo unit.

Yea that boss 1600 is one nice toy.

I have been thinking of selling my 11 tascam recorders to get one of those bad boy,s ;)

Last edited:
Hi Bean
Take the back-cover off and check the drive-belt located on the fly-wheel.
If it slows down on both speeds, my best guess is the drive-belt is stretched.
2340 has a belt-driven capstan, reel-motors are seperate. :)

Good Luck

hey thanks for the info. I've been gone a few days so my reply is delayed. The back cover is off, and the belt in question (near the center, that always spins when the tension arm is up) never seems to speed up nor slow down. I don't have a tape on, but regardless of direction, the belt speed seems stable. The belt does seem very thin and like it's not on the tightest. What does this belt do? Spin the little fan type thing??Both reels DO have their own motor. Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bean, the capstan-axel is driven by that belt, a slack belt with no tension left, does not speed up when changing speeds.
I would suggest replacing the drive-belt ;)
Capstan motor > belt > flywheel > capstan-axel > tape against it with pressure from the pinch-roller. :)

If you unplug the unit and look from the back of the unit.
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/vintagetx/E2
There is a bracket across the fly-wheel attached with 2 screws.
If nobody has messed with your deck before you will find lock-paint on the phillips screws, scrape the paint off and take the left screw out located next to the wire-loom.
Then loosen the other screw 3 turns and leave it.
Carefully push the bracket down on the left side just below the fly-wheel.
There is a small steel-ball in the center of the fly-wheel, be sure not to loose it.
Slip the belt off the flywheel and look further up behind the capstan-motor (motor with a plastic fan) there is a pulley and if your deck has a voltage-selector there is 2 different locations for the drive-belt.
Make a note where the belt goes.
Use a coat-hanger with a small hook and slip the upper part off the capstan-motor pulley.
Now you can pull the whole belt out thru the bottom of the fly-wheel between the bracket.
Order a new belt from Teac parts@teac.com
and before you slip the new belt on clean both the fly-wheel and capstan-motor pulley with head-cleaner and several Q-tips to get the black rubber-residue off.
Installing the new belt is best starting at the capstan-motor.
Be sure the belt goes on the same location as before (60 hz)
then slip the belt on top of the fly-wheel and turn the flywheel with your fingers to the left. belt adjust itself to the right location.
Push the bracket back on the left side, attach the screw and tighten both snug again.

Good Luck Bean and keep us posted on the result. :)

Here is the size of the belt + partsnr Bean:
Teac Capstan Belt Part Number 5012383000
Circumference (in./mm) 15.16/385.0
Width (in./mm) 0.32/8.0
Thickness (in./mm) 0.06/1.4
Alternate belt

Used in Teac/Tascam models: A-1230, A-1250, A-1400, A-2100, A-2300, A-2300S, A-2300SD, A-2300SR, A-2300SX, A-2340, A-2340SX, A-2420, A-2500, A-2520, A-3300, A-3300S, A-3300SR, A-4300, A-4300SX, A-6300
:cool:

Thank you,...

for a concise answer & thorough tutorial!

I 'figgered' it was the belt, but cannot speak to the 2340, specifically.

"It's the belt" is one of those catch-all/do-all phrases, that's usually accurate at least 75% of the time, or better.

/DA

Back