Teac 80 8 Head azimuth adjustment

thereelman77

Just had a quick question: I went to adjust my azimuth on my deck. I followed the manual directions adjusting the two small screws behind the head, BUT nothing changed, the head didn't move up or down and my oscilloscope didn't change. Has the head sat so long that it will not move? Or am I missing something?

1. Are you sure you are using the Azimuth adjusting screws and not the others.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE the height (skew) or anything else (zenith, wrap)...only the AZIMUTH...unless you want be crazy, and throw caution to the wind. :D

The azimuth is a tilt adjustment.
If you are looking straight at the heads...so that the tape is moving left/right and the head gaps are facing you....the azimuth will affect the circular twist....clockwise and counter-clockwise relative to the tape travel which is left/right.

Here's a picture for you:

head_adjustments.jpg

Nope, page 10 of my manual has a diagram noting the azimuth screw adj. Their is a large screw adj. in between the record and monitor heads but I did not touch them. I only tried adjusting one screw on the monitor head to see if an adjustment would be made. Nothing happened.

I don't know my way around the 80-8, but on many other machines there is a set screw that must be released before adjusting the fine azimuth. After you set the azimuth you tighten it back firm again.

Other than that I'm assuming you have your test equipment attached and set correctly and the output is switched to the head you're adjusting... and you had some kind of reading on the scope... and were running the right frequencies on the prescribed full-track calibration tape. :)

By the way, what did the image on the scope look like that did not change? I mean how close was it to being on target?

That must be the large screw in the middle of the head. Yes, the scope on the monitor head was almost perfect but the norm head is off slightly. The deck got hit pretty hard a while ago and I feared their might be an azimuth error. Thankfully it wasn't a big error.
When I popped on an older tape though, I was getting leakage on channels during norm playback. That was a pre-hit tape. The other issue is that on the last MRL calibration I did, it seemed like across the meters 1-8, track 1 was getting a less signal than on the track 8 head.

Back