Taylor Acoustic/Electric Guitar

cincy_kid

Hey all, how has everyone been? ;)

So I finally am getting my chance to own my dream acoustic guitar, a Taylor! I have had many acoustic guitars in my life along the way but most were cheaper models ranging from $99 - $299. I finally received permission (from my better half) to get a Taylor guitar. I went shopping today at Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Buddy Rogers and looked online at what was available both new and used.

Although I would love to have a brand new one (with the lifetime warranty), I think my price range is going to be better suited towards a used one. I have narrowed it down to 3 guitars and wanted to get your opinions:

414ce - ($1,399)
512ceR - ($1,599) - this one actually has the Indian Rosewood like the higher end models
716ce - ($1,799) - leaning towards this one

I guess I wanted to have these 2 main questions answered:

1) is it OK buying a used Taylor and forgoing the lifetime warranty?
2) is it worth the extra $200, or $400 going with the 716 model versus the other 2 options?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks again!

~ cincy

I know this is`nt what your asking about, but FWIW..there`s absolutly no way on gods green earth, I`d spend that kinda $$ on a guitar via the internet..I`d absolutly HAVE to check it out, and inspect/play it in person..

sorry, I should have clarified. These are all in store purchases. I have played all of them in person.

Acoustic guitars can be very subjective, because everyone likes a different sound from someone else. My advice is to just get the one that sounds best to you and get it. If that's the one that's $200 extra, then so be it, if it's the cheaper one, well that's fine too.

Acoustic guitars can be very subjective, because everyone likes a different sound from someone else. My advice is to just get the one that sounds best to you and get it. If that's the one that's $200 extra, then so be it, if it's the cheaper one, well that's fine too.

This. Gotta go with what feels and sounds right to you.

Personally I'm saving up for a Taylor T5 Custom maple top. $25-3000! :eek:

I worked at a Guitar Center years ago (hey... I needed a job...) and got to play on several. I fell in love that day... I find most expensive guitars to not really be worth the money but that T5 with the maple top was so sweet...

So I ended up getting the Taylor 414ce and I must say its pretty darn nice!

However, it seems harder for me to play than my other acoustic guitars. The Luthier who set it up said he kept the action fairly high and I think I have decided to bring it back to him and have the action lowered some. Hopefully that will make it easier for me to play. The sound is great but I feel more "clumsy" on it.

He also put D'Addario strings on it and everything I have been reading says to go with some Elixir Nanowebs. Most of the posts are form years ago though so I wonder is Elixir still the best way to go for strings? I know its a preference thing, but what do you all recommend?

thanks!

I'd question this 'luthier' who set it up. Why higher action? Why D'Addario strings (they are pretty cheap)? You spend $1500 on a guitar, put some decent strings on it. You'll have to try some different strings to see which you like the best.
Elixers and Cleartones have a poly coating which makes them last longer, but some folks don't like the sound.

Thanks for the reply Mike.

He said he liked a higher action on the Taylors because he likes to "feel" it when he presses down on the fretboard. he said he likes the D'Addario strings and doesnt like the Elixers because that they were made for people whose fingers sweat more and rub off on the strings. I dunno, thinking I may try the nanowebs to see what sound they give.

yea, but how does he know who his customer is? :)

It was a used guitar at Guitar Center, so someone has to decide how it is set up.

Oh, that explains it - the 'luthier who set it up' was the guitar department guy at GC. That would also explain the strings.

yep! Hopefully when I have him lower the action and throw some nanowebs on there it will play better for me! :)

. . . because he likes to "feel" it when he presses down on the fretboard."

WTF---was he paying you or were you paying him---to set up his guitar or your guitar? Beware the techs at GC since the Romney Group took over---word around here is that the responsible ones are getting a hard time or quitting altogether because of ignored input and new rules. In any event, a good tech will find a way to attach testicles to your axe if that's what you want.

Paj
8^)

If it was Jamon Zeillor at the Florence GC, he's very good and knows what he is doing. If you bought it at the Sharonville store, it would be worth the drive to take it Jamon.

It actually is Jamen, I live and work in Florence so he right down the road. I am bringing it to him today.

thanks! :)

It actually is Jamen, I live and work in Florence so he right down the road. I am bringing it to him today.

thanks! :)
Jamon is very very good. I use D'Addario phospher bronze strings and I love them, but I would say the strings are the smallest(though important) part of the equation when considering an acoustic's tone.

So...... you are more of a Kentucky Kid. :)

Back