Tassy 388 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

baneofmyexistns

Hello readers/users,

New to the site but have been reading it for the last 4 years. More recently I've been reading old threads that have been helpful regarding my new nightmare...the Tascam 388. Guys or Gals out there like ''A Reel Person'' and ''Ghosts of FM'' have been very helpful regarding me reading and learning about this machine and my passion (maybe reel players) in general. Anyway, I hope you guys are still out there and willing to help a friend in need.

A Brief History:

Got a deal on my 388 which was shipped (heavy, don't do it unless...) from a friend out west for nothing...well a bottle of wild turkey. The guy I got it from from was helpful but one of these ''collectors'' and not much into dusting or using. Upon receiving it I cleaned the chit out of it as I like my gear clean. Did the heads, demag, rubber cleaned the pinch roller, replaced the capstan belt...all minor maintenance. So...and I know you're dying to hear the gist of my problem...

Well, I have read about this problem of calibration of the tension arms and buying a tentelo meter($)...even trying to find a TEAC ''Test Reel'' appears to be futile at this point. Is it as easy as taking it all apart again and adjusting this with a screwdriver from the apparent ''factory settings'' or is this a bigger problem that actually needs more accurate attention? Also I ain't getting playback on Recording which has led to the tension problem..as tape gets heavier on the arms it stopped the functioning controls..FF/RW/PLAY and RECORD...side note... would be... can my recording head have already been fried and this is just another ''maintenance issue'' that needs fixing/illusive ebay searches plus the issue of tape tension?

I live close to a vintage audio repair shop but unless they make house calls or have a T2-H20-1 or T2-H15-UM should I even bother contacting them? They have however done a good job on my Sony TC-630 but that is portable...they have a small shop and I wouldn't want to burden them with the hours plus labour ($) it takes to take this thing apart from the top end down...plus the weight and the stairs on my part.

I like this thing and apologies for the long ass post but solving headaches and such is I guess what we're all here for. I don't want to sell it for twice what it's worth (current epay) just to give my problem to someone else who wants that reel sound reel bad. If I had read half of these posts on this site prior to my purchase I may not be here but hindsight is...oh chit I got something in my eye.

Thanks in advance for any input.

p.s Can I change my avatar to to something I made?...not on a reel.;)

Last edited:
Yeah I had it functioning, I know it plays audio but it's not recording yet. Now the problem of the tension arms so I can start re-troubleshooting the record prob.

I've reposted in analog only, there appears to be a few 388 users on here. I'll close this thread.

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back