Tascam

Disco_Dave

I just bought a Tascam 424 MKIII and have been trying to record some bass parts onto it. I have followed the manual instructions yet when I try to play the part back it is either very very quiet or unhearable.

Please forgive my ignorance but recording was always something that somebody else did until now!

Yo Disco Man:

Are you getting a LED signal when you record your bass line?

If so, then you are missing a stroke somewhere for playback. I used to own a couple of 488's. If I recall, there was a little button to push for playback on each channel. I'm not familiar with your unit but it can't be that much different, except it probably has better sound.

Are you overdubbing? Just seems to me that you are missing pushing the right button to hear unless your volume is down on the cans?

I'm sure it's a simple thing.

Green Hornet

:D :eek: :cool: :p

I get a meter reading so the signal is going into the box...and the the volume is up....

I have tried playing direct from the bass and with it going through an amp. I'm not overdubbing, just trying to lay down a bass line....either way it is soooooo quiet!

It's all very new to me but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it soon. I hope!

Are both of your meters reading? You have to LED-lines on the right, they're for your headphones. Let's do this step by step.

First, plug you bass in, let's say in the upper left jack. Switch your "buss"-switch to, yes, "buss". If you play your bass now you should see three signals, two on the right for your headphone, and one on the left indicating that you're playing on track 1. If this isn't the case, make sure that your tape/mic-knob (the first knob on the upper left) is set to "mic", to the right. Make shure your volume-control fader and your master fader are set to the shaded area (around 7 or 8). Be careful if you have your headphone-control all the way open since you'd blast your ears off if this would work!

If all this isn't going to work, then start all over again according to the manual. Make shure all jogs, knobs and faders are set according to the manual. If it's still not working something's wrong with it.

The TASCAM is a great buy, (I have a mkII), it's a small machine with lots of features, and that also makes it difficult sometimes. When you get the hang of it (and treat it right) you'll never want anything else. For now. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help you out!

Dirk Demon

Last night i realised what was wrong, I realised to have to switch from mic/line to tape in order to play it back....after hours of frustration i finally heard the sweet sound of the bass line to white man in hammersmith palais coming through the headphones, it was actually a great feeling!

I went on to add a guitar part and it sounds great!

Thanks very much for your help, was very kind.

Hmm... not sure about that, at least mine doesn't, but hey, if it works for you!
Don't you just LOVE that feeling when you struggled endlessly and finally you just got it right? It's a rush...

Good luck! (And good riddance to hiss)
Dirk Demon

Back