Tascam US-1800 the best option for the money?

MatthewH

Hey again, i made a post earlier in the month about a variety of questions including which interface to buy, i have come to the conclusion that for recording a whole drum kit i will need at least 8 simultaneous ins, and the Tascam US-1800 give me this and more, i have done my research and know that i can record up to 16 tracks simultaneously while using Reaper and also know i have enough RAM to support this.
Now my question is just more about concluding that, i can get some at least decent quality recordings, (assuming everything else is up to scratch).
I would like to ask if some of you have experience with this unit and if its sturdy, has pretty clean pre-amps? Im on an extremely tight budget as a student so this seems to be my only option at the moment.

I would not be posting this but i was told my a man at the UK music store PMT that if you pay anything under about £450 (focusrite pro 40 price) for that many inputs you'll be getting cheap pre-amps and you'll be fighting a horrible sound from day one, of course this man is biased to what his company sells but it has still put the doubt in my mind.

thanks.

Yes. 60db clean 'decent' sounding preamps. There are actually 10 preamps in the 1800. I have had good results recording ride and HH via inputs 9/10 with XLR to 1/4" mic cables. I don't do it anymore, but it worked. My website has samples of bands recorded with the US1641. Same interface (with external power supply), just not as pretty. :)

thanks man i appreciate the input, i just wanted some clarification from someone experience, cause there could be a whole other world im missing! ill check that out now, thanks!

Just so you know, the MP3 converter that my website uses, is quite shitty. Downloading the wav files will give you a better judgement. Plot 38 and Janos stuff was not recorded here, on the 1641. The others were. Oh, and ignore the Cassie tune, that was a donation thing. Sweet 12 year old, but not my favorite genre lol! :)

Aha thanks, no problem, yeah i listened to the songs in MP3 still didn't think they were bad, i will download the WAV fils now and listen again :_

LOL! It seems I have been lazy. My pictures of the studio are way old, and some of the music links were bad. Enjoy some Cassie Patterson! :)

Back