Tascam serials

TASCAM date codes are generally, but not always, a separate 3 digit number to the right of the serial number or, in some cases, the last 3 numbers of the serial number.

The only problem with that is that they didn't use the same date regime at all times and on all machines so its a bit close to impossible to be sure in all cases.

I have a 1991 catalog from them and the 38 isn't in it and I believe they started making them in 1983 with no variation models during their product life cycle so it might be tricky to really find out 100% for sure.

Sorry.

Cheers! :)

Two of my machines have the actual dates on them. My 688 says September 1992 and my 564 states October 1996. By the way, nice to see you again, Ghost. It's been awhile since I posted anything here or at the Tascam forums.
:)

The Ghost of FM said:
I have a 1991 catalog from them and the 38 isn't in it and I believe they started making them in 1983 with no variation models during their product life cycle so it might be tricky to really find out 100% for sure.

Sorry.

Some of the models, must be the later ones, like mine have soldered in channel cards. I can't swap cards in mine like a lot of the others can.

SteveM said:
Some of the models, must be the later ones, like mine have soldered in channel cards. I can't swap cards in mine like a lot of the others can.
I guess soldered in channel cards might be a good cure for intermittent edge connectors but how on earth do they expect you to repair or replace parts with an arrangement like that?

Weird?

Sexy Heather said:
Two of my machines have the actual dates on them. My 688 says September 1992 and my 564 states October 1996. By the way, nice to see you again, Ghost. It's been awhile since I posted anything here or at the Tascam forums.
:)
Hi Heather! :)

I'm having trouble remembering your user name from either board to be honest with you but, I remember someone named Phil with the same gear as you?

Same person?

The Ghost of FM said:
Hi Heather! :)

I'm having trouble remembering your user name from either board to be honest with you but, I remember someone named Phil with the same gear as you?

Same person?

Yep, that's me. Phil Hurd on the Tascam Forums, since 7/26/04. Which is the real me? Both! (Hey, I'm a Gemini!) ;) Anyway, you graciously sent me some cool vintage promo brochures on my 688 and 564, which I still have. I haven't been on the Tascam Forum or this one in quite awhile, as my mom died a little over a year ago, and I've been having a hard time dealing with her passing, even though it was the best thing, given her condition. Good to see you again, I've always appreciated your helpful posts.

Back