Tascam Porta One- all works but playback- tips appreciated

Om_Audio

Trying to revive this unit from my youth.

All works but playback. The right reel assembly moves SLIGHTLY and stops. I do not know if play is gear or belt driven.

Powers on fine. The belts are old so may be slipping- not sure. FF/REV work fine. Looked over service manual and in the unit itself- cannot sort out the entire playback mechanism because it is hidden/sandwhiched between other parts like flywheel etc.

If anyone has exp or tips on sorting this out let me know. I do plan on buying a belt set but want to be sure it is not just a loose spring etc.

The unit worked years ago and has been stored in an enclosed box dust free and stationary and no heat/cold extremes.

Thanks!

C

those things had a remote footswitch for starting and stopping, if i recall correctly (1986 was a long time ago) - make sure the remote switch isn't on, if there is one

even if that IS the cause, a belt kit would still be a very good idea - those old ones probably have a myriad of cracks in them

Thanks, I have the remote but it is not plugged in- will plug it in and toggle it a few times to see if that helps. The belts are not cracked at all actually- I had replaced them long ago but they are very old so certainly would not hurt.
I am still interested if anyone knows more about the mechanics of the play mechanism to see if it is even belt driven or if it could be something else.
C

Back