Tascam MSR16 vs 388 for a Newbie?

MAXRB

Hello, this is my first post. I'm Max from Spain, analog lover with a digital multitrack.:confused:
I've got some experience with recording but not with analog recording.
After reading the book "Analog recording", listening to a reel person recordings (I dig them!), listening to the first Black Keys LP many times (recorded with a Tascam 388), I'm sure I want to own a small analog studio for recording my own music.
I need that sound!
I own some vintage guitars and amps, I play garage and raw blues and I don't get the sound I'm looking for with a Korg D1600 .
I don't know if I should try to get a Tascam 388 ("portable" and ready to record) but not very seen in my country or maybe and 8/16 tracks recorder as the MSR16 (I should get a mixer as well as I don't have any, just a rode ntk, some shures and the digital multitrack).

I'm decided to begin the path to analog recording but I don't know how, please could you help me?

I own a 388 and they are pretty cool machines. They have a lot of EQ options, and they actually sound pretty good...not to mention, you can't beat having it all in one box. cheaper tape (7" reels of 1/4) too. And, you don't need all of the extra cables and space to hook a mixer up to the tape machine. If you're going to get a 1/4" 8 track, then this is a great machine. The stand alones will potentially have a "better" sound, but that depends a lot on your mixer and if the machine is a 1/2" or larger gauge. many many home recordists swear by the 388. It also has a handy monitoring section for overdubs. and the punch ins are very quiet and spot on. You can really push the tape on a 388 and get some nice tape compression, or you can use the dbx and maintain a huge dynamic range with very little noise.
hope this is helpful.

I currently own both machines, although I need to sell my 388 soon. If you run the MSR-16 at low speed (7.5 ips), it sounds just like the 388, only with 16 tracks. However, at high speed (15 ips), you get a lot more high-end.

The 388 is an awesome machine, but I needed more than 8 tracks. The 388 also sounds more lo-fi than the MSR-16, due to the slower tape speed. Personally, I like the MSR-16 better, and if I wanted a more "1970's" sound, I can just run the tape at low speed.

The cost for an MSR-16, a mixer, and cables will more than the cost of a 388. However, if you think you'll ever need a 16 track machine, it might just be worth it to bite the bullet and go that route now. But, make sure you don't skimp on the mixer, because it will have an influence on the quality of your recordings.

-MD

Nathan, Thanks for your opinion on the 388.
I really like the 388, it's cool and portable, but probably I would need more tracks (as I want to record live without too much hassle).
And last but not least: I can't get a 388 in my country as nobody wants to ship it overseas :(

Maddog: Good point. I was considering that I was going to obtain that 70s sound with ANY analog recorder and setup.
Thanks for the tip on setting a slow speed, I didn't think about it.
So if I go for the MSR-16 recording, do you think that a mixer like the Mackie Onyx 1640 would do the job or do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks again.

You could use a Mackie Onyx 1640, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's meant for live use.

The Onyx does not have tape returns, which means you will need to constantly repatch your cables in order to monitor your tracks. If you want to shell out that much money for a mixer, there are plenty of good recording mixers you should be able to find used. Just make sure whatever mixer you settle on operates at -10 and has tape returns for every channel. I would also recommend getting a mixer with more than 16 channels, because this will help out during mixdown. Having 20 or 24 channels ought to be plenty.

Good luck!
-MD

I moved 3 tascam 388,s out of my basement into another basement across town last year by my self and let me just say there is nothing portable about a 388.

:D sorry guys my english vocabulary and my grammar are quite limited...
I meant that at least you can move it while a Tascam msr-16, a mixer, a patchbay a rack and a bunch of cables are less...mmm...transportable?
Alguien habla español??:confused:
thanks again, specially for all the info about the mackie!

As a general rule of thumb, the less often you move this equipment, the better off you are. If possible, set it and forget it!

-MD

I'm decided to begin the path to analog recording but I don't know how, please could you help me?

Apologies in advance if I don't answer your question(s) but your biggest hurdle / problem will be getting the machine safely to you, provided that you opt for shipping. Whatever happens, drive to pick it up or have it properly boxed and, most important, strapped to a pallet. Otherwise your dreams of having a recorder likely will get destroyed along with the item itself.

Hello,

Thanks for your advice. Please feel free to give your opinion on anything related to this project.

I know it can be tricky but probably my only option is Ebay, etc, as I cannot find analog gear near where I live. :(

Somebody is selling a 16 channels Soundcraft Spirit Studio. What do you think of this one as my first mixer?
Another guy is offering me an 8 channels reel to reel recorder from the 80s. It's a Teac but I don't know which one yet.
I would prefer 16 channels but he claims that this one has a better sound because of the 1 '' tape (compared to the msr-16)?
What do you think?
Anyway I'm looking for mid-fidelity not high fidelity.

Back