Tascam MSR16 and Roland VS2480...

cvalona

Hello everyone and here is what I need help with:

I have a near mint Tascam MSR16 along with a Tascam M2600 MkII analog mixer that I bought years ago and after reading so many threads on how great drums and bass and other things sound when recorded first to analog tape and then dumped or whatever the correct term is, moved to a DAW, I thought I'd like to try doing this but haven't a clue where to start ? My DAW is the Roland VS2480.

Since I mostly record as a trio or quartet and I play with some very fine musicians who can get their parts (tracks) down within a couple of takes, I thought it might be cool to get bass & drums on tape and then move them onto or into the Roland VS2480.

I don't want to get to carried away with this process in that I don't wish to spend hours rewinding tape and getting in over my head dealing with the MSR16. I just want to use the MSR16 sparingly and only on instruments/tracks where there would be a real advantage.

I apologize in advance for my lack of understanding how to actually state my quarry, thanks for helping.

Coming from an analog deck, you will have to do the transfer in real time.

Your 2480 is capable of recording 16 simultaneous tracks, so you will need to patch each of the outputs from your deck (either straight from the deck or from your mixer) to the inputs of your 2480. Hit 'record' on the 2480 and 'play' on your deck and let the song play through.

Since it is being transferred in the analog realm, there will be a slight degradation in the recordings, but I would have to imagine it will be less than noticeable.

You will need to do this with each of your songs, creating a new project for each on the 2480.

It doesn't appear to be the case based on the music you say you are recording, but IF any of your songs have more than 16 tracks that need transferred, the 2480 can act as a master or slave with MTC sync'ing, but I'm not sure you have that capability with your deck. Barring that, you can repeat the process of transferring the tracks, sending the ones above 16 to fresh channels on the 2480. Once in the Roland, you can nudge the tracks to sync them with the original 16.

I haven't used a 2480 for a couple of years now, but I hope this helps! :)

Remember also that the levels for analog is different than digital..What you wanna get on to tape ( stauration) will not work on your 2480..Analog is a lot more " forgiving"..Good luck..

Hello and THANKS a million for the info. I will not be recording more than maybe 6 tracks to the MSR 16 at any given time.
All I really want to use the MSR16 for is to record my drum and bass tracks. Everything else I'll record using the VS 2480.

QUESTION: Can you briefly tell me how to align the MSR16 ? I realize I will need some kind of Test Tone tape ? I watched the alignment process being performed on an Otari 2 inch machine on YouTube, but can't find anything dealing with MSR16 ?

How often would I need to perform the alignment procedure ? Im using the MSR16 in my little home studio and the only for maybe
only like 6 to 8 hours a month ?

peace & kindness, charles

Back