Tascam Midiizer / ACC2 cable

davidlang

I finally tracked down a Tascam Midiizer to sync my TSR-8 with ProTools. However, I'm missing one critical piece - an ACC2 cable for connecting the two via their respective serial ports. I've had no luck in tracking one down. Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but does anyone have one for sale, know where I can get one or alternatively know the pin out connections so I can make one.

Many thanks,
David Lang

Are you connecting only a single TSR to Pro-Tools?

If that's the case, you don't actually need a ACC/2 cable (although it would be useful to have one if you don't have a remote). All you'll need is a midi cable to connect the Midiizer to the computer. The TSR acts as a master, reading the timecode off of your sync track, which should be track 8. The Midiizer takes the timecode it reads from track 8 and converts the signal into midi time code, which is processed through the midi cable to the computer. Pro Tools should then be able to slave to the TSR, through the Midiizer, and offer fairly rapid synchronization to the TSR.

I've never synced to Pro Tools, but have successfully synced to Cool Edit Pro using this method.

In order to do this, you'll just have to engage the midi time code on the Midiizer (if you don't have the manual, I'll take a look and give you information on how to do this), and just set up Pro Tools to slave to midi time code. You may have to fiddle with the settings a little bit, but it should work in this way.

The only advantage having an ACC/2 cable would offer for this scenario is you would be able to use the transport controls on the Midiizer to control the TSR-8. Doing it my way, you'll have to control the transport on the machine itself, or through a remote control.

Good luck with it!
-MD

Hi, you guessed right! I have no remote, so I want to use the the Midiizer's transport to control the TSR-8. Many thanks to yourself & jpmorris for your input. I'll go make myself a new cable ...

David

Back