Tascam Manual

england

I have a 424 Mark III and am wondering if I'm missing pages from t he manual. Is anyone else confused by the manual's failure to address how to 'insert' dynamics processors (EQ, compressor, etc.)? It covers effects devices but not the other?

England, I have a 424MKII, and it shares a lot of features with the MKIII. And I believe one thing they share is the lack of inserts. When I use a pre/comp with mine,I plug the mic or instument into the proccessor, and then the output of the proccessor into a channel. this works quite well for me...Good luck.........CALO

Thanks for the input Calo. What I'm referring to with regard to the 424 manual is its failure to address 'inserting' dynamics processors at "mixdown". It covers how to connect effects processors via the effects send/return route but misses the point of inserting things like eq, compressor, limiter, into the signal chain as it leaves the console via the RCA line outs and goes to a mixdown deck. Is that a little more clear???

You want to compress one track or all the tracks? If you want to compress individual tracks, use the direct outs and run into a mixer that has inserts. If you are adding this stuff to the stereo mix, try using the Monitor out rather than the Line output, and daisy chain the effects in various sequences until you get the right dynamics. Try going Tascam --> EQ --> Compressor. Keep the output volumes relatively low and use the compressor to boost.

If you can, try to find a working 244 or 246 (?) - Those had channel inserts.

OR

Mix right into the computer using Cool Edit, Sound Forge or Wave lab and use XFX Multiband dynamics, Waves RCL, or Steinberg Mastering Edition Loudness Maximiser.

Back