Tascam M30

Old Trout

Where do I plug in the output from an external mic preamp to bypass the pre's in the M30?

Is it the Line in RCA?

Assuming your preamp is capable of outputting a -10db unbalanced nominal signal,...

then you may plug it directly into the M30's channel LINE IN, and switch the channel input select to LINE.

Or,... if you know that your signal requires no mixing with other signals, and you've preplanned which track it should go to, you may plug directly into the BUSS IN on any buss, or even directly to the INPUT of the recorder itself.

But in general, I think it would serve more utility to plug your preamp into the M30's channel LINE IN. That way you get control of the signal and mix, as a normal LINE IN input signal on a channel, and work it from there.

;)

Thanks for your quick response.

My preamp actually has XLR balanced outputs but I have a 2 channel line level converter to allow me to switch to RCA unbalanced lines.

I'm not in the market for another mixer yet, but do you know if any of their later models use XLR line inputs, not just MIC inputs?

Another question. Do you know when Tascam switched to using Pin 2 hot on their XLR connections, instead of pin 3 hot on their earlier equipment?

I don't know of any Tascam mixer that has XLR/balanced LINE INputs,...

although the Portastudio style mixer has XLR MIC/LINE inputs, in which you'd have the preamp stopped all the way down for LINE, and opened all the way up for MIC.

I don't have any info on the pin 2-3 differences you've mentioned.

;)

M30 or M1508 for Tascam 238S

Hi, I am looking at a M30 in good condition other than dirty pots or a M1508 thats in good condition other than the colored plastic tops on the knobs of 3 are missing... Can you advise me on what is best for all around performance?

thanks
Edge59 :rolleyes:

Back