Tascam m30

What in your mind "to function as one" is? :)
Generally speaking, to answer your question, as I see it, - you can not ...
But, You can for eaxample mix 8 chnis on one mixer, send main mix out from that mixer to Chnl1 and Chnl2 (pan 1 hard left, pan 2 hard right) - so you get "submix" from the first mixer into second mixer and then you can mix the 'submix' with the rest of chnls on the second mixer, while do what ever on mixers, using all the options you have (send/return/eq etc) .... so you can look at the whole picture, like it is "one mixer" (or one mixing system, if you wish to call it that way). Or you can go as creative as you can using all the options on both mixers... all depending on the task.
Any specific task on your mind?

/respects,

tascam m30

Nothing really in particular. I have a half inch 8 track reel to reel and i figured id need more channels once alot of tracks were recorded.

Hey! Reel! Dave!? Where are you... get up, smell coffee!!!!!!! :D .... this guy should know m-30s ....
I don't know these mixers... never had one of these.... so ..
well, just from my general knowledge. As I can tell since it's 8ins/4outs/2subs,monitor outs.... , then you can record 4 line-instruments/mics (to 4 independent tracks) at once with this mixer. Do you need more than 4 input at the same time? If you do, then you can use two m-30s , so you can record up to 8 (instruments / ins) at once ... Or you can submix some of ins, using one mixer.
I am not sure about mic inputs on m-30s. Are they ok? How are preamps? I have no idea. They maybe ok, they maybe crappy ;) ... also depends on your expectations. If i'm correct you have no phantom power on mic ins ... so ... you know, if your mic(s) need phantom, then you need a pre or phantom-box.
If you record only one instrument at the time (or 4 or less) instruments/mics/ins, then you can set one m-30 as your recording mixer, and the second one as your mix-down mixer. (You can do all the same with one mixer thou.... just set it first for recording, then re-patch your set-up for mix-down).
You can mix 8 tracks of your 8-track recorder with one m-30.

what else? You got there phono pre-amps? correct? .... :) heh heh .... pretty useless stuff ...lol, well, they are phono-pre(s)... so you can add some vinyl into the mix, if you wish.... again, I am not sure about what I am talking about ...so .... nevermind.
Just keepping you company.

Hey, guys, who got those m-30s ! speak out....

/respects,
/ :cool:

Yes, you can!

It's a matter of hooking the PGM BUSS OUT's [1-4] to the PGM BUSS IN's [1-4], then the Pgm Busses [1-4] will be linked, with ONE M-30 as the "Master" (fader).

Likewise, on the SUBMIX section, you may cable the Submix Outs to the SUB-IN's on the other unit, and the recieving unit acts as "Master".

Same for the MONITOR section. Cable them together,... OUT->to->IN, and the 2nd (recieving) mixer acts as "Master".

The PHONO inputs have phono-preamps, to accomodate turntables.

You use a combination of ASSIGN (buttons) and PAN (pots) to route the signals from the INPUTS to the BUSSES, and your 8-track recorder would be hooked to the BUSS-OUTs. Being a 4-Buss board, this accomodates 4-track-simultaneous recording.

When you get into >4-track-simul recording situations, you may use the Direct-Outs of each individual channel, or a combination of BUSS and DIRECT Outs to accommodate this.

tascam m30

Thanks alot. I think im going to force myself to learn to use just 8 channels until i can save up and buy a m-520. Thats more than id need for the rest of my life in a mixer. Plus it has a really mellow "look" to it which i love. Does anyone out there have an electronic copy of the m30 manual?

PHONO IN's are simply isolated phono preamps, that you have patch from PHONO OUTs...

to (channel ) LINE IN's (or submix/monitor) to put inline into the mixer/channel_assign/submix circuit paths.

The Phono In's accommodate turntables, the output of which is output to the Phono Out jacks.

Sorry to repeat myself.

I don't know of any online copy of the M-30 manual. My suggestion is to purchase a copy from Tascam Parts, (323) 727-8480

Aaaagh!

I don't know why I always misquote Tascam's number, since I call it often enough!

Tascam Parts' CORRECT NUMBER is (323)727-4840.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Back