Tascam M208 Rotary Encoder Knob Alternatives?

dboog

Hey! I recently picked up a pretty decent-looking M208 for $80, pretty happy with it so far! Unfortunately, there are a good amount of knobs missing on it (48 to be exact!) and while I was searching through the depths of the interwebs and found the knobs I needed on ebay, the total adds up to an amount I'm not too eager to spend. This may be a silly question, but I just have to ask: are there any alternative brands of knobs out there that would be a suitable alternative? I see this mixer uses D shafts, but there's also what looks like a split on the shaft piece and it's not a total flat surface like I've seen with others.

I'm very much a newb when it comes to this piece of gear so any advice I'll gratefully accept!

They are not “encoders.” That is what you find on a digital console. They are just rotary potentiometers or “pots.”

I might have them…they might not totally match. Which ones do you need?

The spline shaft type knobs (what you are calling “split”) won’t fit on the ‘D’ type pot shafts you have on your M-208.

Also, if you can post a pic of your M-208 please do that…there were two shades of brown for the body of the knobs during this era…a dark brown and a lighter brown. I might not have the quantity of knob that matches what you have on your M-208, but it would be Tascam knobs of the same style, and maybe have the correct color caps, but that depends on which ones you need. What’s the price of the ones you found?

Noted, appreciate you telling me the difference!

I'm in need of all the 5 colors😅 (red, orange, green, blue & tan)

I was on ebay looking for those knobs, I saw a user selling them for $8.95 each, which sincerely is more than I'm comfortable spending, and the total I'd be spending ended up being over like $300.

Tascam knobs of the same style sound glorious! I'm also totally cool with using entirely different styled knobs that wouldn't match the original ones (if that works?) My big "concern" I think was better understanding if different styled knobs existed that could fit on the M-208, or if the knobs on the M-208 were specifically designed for the M-208 alone and I HAD to purchase the same knobs. If I can buy different knobs that fit these ‘D’ type pot shafts, where would be the best place to check?

I've seen sites like Amazon that have D type pot shaft knobs in like a bundle for a decent price. Would I then be correct in assuming those would work on this mixer? All this for me to ask a silly question on knobs with an easy answer probably, but I'd rather ask, learn and understand.

I appreciate you hopping on this thread sweetbeats!

IMG_2911.jpg

Back