Tascam M-3700...is it suitable?

KochoBASS

We(rock band) are planning to record a CD by ourself(second one)...
We are planning to buy UA 6176 preamp for tracking purposes on vocals and guitars...
What preamps are suitable for drums...everything will be recorded on motu824 in 48khz 32bit(cubase)...
We have one cheap offer to buy TASCAM m-3700 to use as a preamp for drum mics...what do you think?

Tnx for helping...

I don't think preamps for drums are that critical especially when you'll probably end up using mics like sm-57s etc and then compressing and EQing the tracks to hell anyway.

Even a mackie desk would do the job, but if you are getting a good deal with the 3700, by all means go for it.

We will use electric bass drum(for triggering purposes)...
some akg-s on toms...sm57 on snare(top and bottom)
rode nt-2 on overheads(matched pair)
hi-hat...maybe rode,maybe akg...don't know yet...

does this 3700 have good preamps? i mean,is it transparent or does it colour sound a bit oldfashioned way(neve,ua,urei)...?

we are getting it for 1200 euros...that is around 1400$...fair price?

KochoBASS said:
we are getting it for 1200 euros...that is around 1400$...fair price?

Great price - I came across one sold not so long ago as a "buy it now" on ebay for 5000$

I'm not too shure if the preamps are transparent or not, but, since you're using this desk just for the drums it untransparancy may be a good thing, it will help to meld your drums together making them sound more natural in the mix. Lots of sounds in a mix with nothing in common sonically will churn out a complex mix that is not easy on the ear.

I have a M-3500 I use just for mixing.and monitoring. I stay with stand alone preamps for tracking. The preamps in the M-3500 are just a little noisey. Not horrible at all, I just have enough better preamps that I don't have to rely on them. I could track rock/pop music with the 3500 with no problem.

Back