Tascam M-308B Story...

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Well, yeah...I did. Its a back burner project, but I'm not sure yet if it is going to be a keeper or not...It went like this:

I was perusing craigslist as I tend to do, and there was a local deal for an M-308B. The picture showed a complete mixer, the listing said it powered up but was untested...$50. I think that's a good deal.

I asked the seller what the general condition was and I got the indication it was rough, and he and a fellow musician had had it since 1988 and that it had seen gig mileage, no manual.

BUT, it was local, I could go see it, and $50 is $50.

I started reading up on the M-300 series, at least what I could find...I mean, I'm familiar with them for sure, but more in comparitive terms with the M-500 boards and now the M-___. What a neat, neat mixer! Still relatively compact, but so feature-packed. Wow! My first mixer was an ART Phantom 1608...I thought it was the "bomb"...I didn't know much about much at that point, but it was an 8-channel mixer with 8 auxes (4 available at any one time, internal jumpers for pre/post in groups of 4), 4-band fixed eq, and a configurable 8 channel line mixer for tape returns or effect returns etc. No metering except for 2 channel 12-segment LED meters. The thing of it is that the controls were horribly cheap feeling...rough, sticky, cheap-cheap-cheap...cheap...puh-lastik. 45mm throw on the faders IIRC. I think the whole thing was on one PCB too...But the 8-channel line mixer I thought was so innovative...like I said, I didn't know much about much. Compare that with the pro architecture and controls of the M-300, the ruggedness, the semi-inline features, metering, the routing...so many big console features included and they didn't cheat on the components. Class-act.

I guess the idea of the small mixer with big mixer functions is really appealing to me right now...I've got two (for me) huge mixers...The M-308 really fits the bill. If i'm keeping the 308, the M-520 definitely has to go.

So I got to the seller's place and it...was...rough. Guys, its been neglected. Its got white paint overspray on it...no sidepanels...it looks like it has spent some time in a humid storage environment. I'm okay if any of you want to call me foolish. I couldn't leave it there...is that stupid? I didn't feel right leaving it in that uncaring environment...maybe I'm sick...some people feel that way about puppies at the animal shelter...so I didn't even try to talk him down price-wise. I gave him the $50, tucked the 308B under my arm and left.

Overview:
Oblique%20(with%20flash).JPG

All the lights light up except for the VU meters, and I do know it passes audio at least on channels 7 & 8. I'll test more thoroughly later:
Oblique%20(no%20flash).JPG

But it is, by my standards, filthy...

Cruddy fader caps for example:
Dirty%20Fader%20Caps.JPG

Lookit the scungy film on the meter lenses:
Meter%20Detail.JPG

Oxidized jacks:
Oxidized%20Jacks.JPG

Paint overspray:
Paint%20Splatter.JPG

And (one of the worst issues, because I can't really do anything about it) the rust bubbling up:
Rusted%20Dress%20Panel.JPG

Other views...

Bottom:
Bottom%20View.JPG

Side:
Side%20View.JPG

Rear (its not tweaked...the camera lens is makin' it look that way):
Rear%20view.JPG

And zooming in on the jack panel...

Some healthy scratches:
Rear%20Panel%20Scratches.JPG

And lookit the mystery jacks over the channel 7 jacks...?
Mystery%20Jacks.JPG

I dunno...I really like this model of mixer. I'm totally sold on it. Maybe I'm looking for one in good condition and this will be a parts unit...it is straight at any rate...:confused:

AAAAUUGGGHGHGHHGGGAAAAGHH...guh.

Last edited:
I just noticed something...!

The blue knobs in the monitor section, the two rows of 4...they don't belong there...:eek:

The 312 and 320 have aux sends in the monitor section but not the 308...should just be the level and pan knobs...:confused:

I'm gonna go out and see if it looks like the dress panel got drilled for those and they are a mod...

huhuhuh....yer not kidding...hence why the M-520 is going to have to go...Isn't there some kind of program I can attend that will help me with my ARP-itis?

yeah, but...

I've got the same problem the reel to reel...I'm up to 5...2 8-track 1/2" decks with matching parts decks and a BR-20T...:eek::rolleyes::o:p

I've got the same problem the reel to reel...I'm up to 5...2 8-track 1/2" decks with matching parts decks and a BR-20T...:eek::rolleyes::o:p

There is no cure for this affliction. I have been buying and selling for who knows how long, as soon as I purge all my electronics, I start again. I am now out of control. :D of course, I would love to have a BR20!? Yeah, maybe just one more piece!! :cool:

as soon as I purge all my electronics

That's my problem...I'm not purging...hm...

Actually I guess I did once in 2002...got rid of everything (except, uh, mics and cabling)...then it all started back in with a Tascam US-122.

New discoveries:

• Its been around smokers...no suprise if its been gigged. :rolleyes::(
  • BUT...I pulled one of the bottom panels off to look at the internal view of those extra blue pots in the monitor section and it is clean-clean-clean inside this mixer...totally shocked, but it looks brand-new...:eek: Some of the caps look like they are bulging a bit, but everything is just super clean inside.
  • And speaking of those extra blue pots...wierd...they are soldered to the group channel PCB's where they normally would be on the 312 and 320. The joints look factory...I'll have to take another look at the holes in the dress panel for those pots...maybe it was a factory mod? So they're in the same spot where you'd normally have the green aux 3 and aux 4 send knobs on the monitor 1 ~ 8 channels of the 312 and 320, but obviously there is no silk-screening for it or pre/post switch...maybe they feed the effect buss so you could use the effect buss as a cue mix on tape returns?? But I'd expect to see so added-lookin' wiring in there to do such a thing since those PCB's would be setup to route to additional aux masters...wierd.
  • The faders are all the nice shiny silver tall-cased ALPS versions
  • Checked basic functions on all 8 input channels for the mic inputs (i.e. mic TRIM, PAD, EQ functions, AUX and EFFECT send functions, group 1 ~ 4 and L-R routing, PAN, PFL and fader). Also checked the group channels as well as the mono channel. Everything works like a charm including all peak LED's and meters, though everything is super scratchy...everything, especially the EQ section.

So, maybe this thing found me because it knew I wouldn't be able to make it pretty looking so I could instead focus on using it to produce some sounds. :D Its ugly, but so far not too ugly where it counts. :)

Just a guess, but maybe those extra knobs feed the two out of place 1/4" jacks on the back. Possibly another aux feed to do a second mix to studio headsets????

My god,... you're an

Animal!

Another board with "mystery" jacks? Maybe it's the M-____ access points!:eek:;)

Remember, the Tape-In routes thru the 1/4" Line-In jacks, but don't ask me why,... I've still not figured out the practicality of that design. I'm still of mind that Tascam was going on-the-cheap with that design, just trying to used "shared" circuitry. To me, it's a caveat.:eek:;)

And the extra knobs appear to be different style.

You have a knack for finding strange stuff

Naw, they're the same...they do look different somehow in the overview shots, but if you look at the pic that's a closeup of the dress panel (showing the rust) you can see one of those blue knobs...

And, strange stuff...when does the madness stop??? It keeps finding meeee!! The funny thing is that, until I got it home and then started taking the pictures last night did I realize "heyyyyy...what are those knobs anyway??" :rolleyes:

Remember, the Tape-In routes thru the 1/4" Line-In jacks, but don't ask me why,... I've still not figured out the practicality of that design. I'm still of mind that Tascam was going on-the-cheap with that design, just trying to used "shared" circuitry. To me, it's a caveat.

Right-right-right...thanks for that reminder. I had forgotten that whole bit and was trying to figure out the tape access point...I figgered it was the LINE input jacks, but hadn't tested it yet...gotta get ahold of a manual...I guess you could see that as a cost-cutting measure...so the M30 and M35 have separate LINE inputs on the channel strip and TAPE IN jacks that patch direct to the monitor section? Yeah...I can see that would be nice...so that's where a patchbay would come in handy with the 308. ;)

The blue knobs in the monitor section, the two rows of 4...they don't belong there...:eek:

The 312 and 320 have aux sends in the monitor section but not the 308...should just be the level and pan knobs...:confused:

I'm gonna go out and see if it looks like the dress panel got drilled for those and they are a mod...

That's weird. I have 2 of these mixers, one of which was a M308 and the other a M308B (Phantom power) that I have had since new and I don't remember the blue knobs in the monitor section. Effects in the monitor section was done thru the channel strip effect sends, at least on mine it was. BTW, what pray tell ,are you guys talking about re tape ins on 1/4 jacks ?? The board can be used as a balanced programs console for 4 track balanced machines or totally unbalanced for use with 8 tracks like the 38-8 which is what I started with. On mine, the line in's disconnect the mic pre's iirc.

Seems like yesterday I talked my local banker into loaning me (at the time a full time musician, the $4K to buy a M308, a 38-8, one of those really cool Tascam roll around stands and a grand total of 1 DBX 4D which by itself cost $500 in august 1985. Anyone want to take a guess what 4K in 1985 bucks equals in todays funny money ?

Thats why my stuff is packed away in the original boxes with original packing, manuals, literature, etc. I remember just how much my wife and I suffered paying for stuff then in this life long quest to buy recording equipment. I would sooner throw it all in the river behind my house that sell it for the assine prices this stuff brings on Ebay.

Last edited:
That's weird. I have 2 of these mixers, one of which was a M308 and the other a M308B (Phantom power) that I have had since new and I don't remember the blue knobs in the monitor section. Effects in the monitor section was done thru the channel strip effect sends, at least on mine it was. BTW, what pray tell ,are you guys talking about re tape ins on 1/4 jacks ?? The board can be used as a balanced programs console for 4 track balanced machines or totally unbalanced for use with 8 tracks like the 38-8 which is what I started with. On mine, the line in's disconnect the mic pre's iirc.

Yeah...the blue mystery knobs on mine are definitely non-stock, but whoever added them did a nice job on drilling the holes, and the pots were soldered into the group channel PCB's where the AUX 3 & 4 pots would be on a 312 or 320...dunno yet what they feed...I'll find out though. ;) I'm wondering if the feed the mystery jacks...maybe those jacks are AUX 3 & 4 outs sans master, but that wouldn't make sense bacause they'd be lacking the amp stages of those masters...anyway, to be determined...

Okay...Danny, I don't know what I'm talking about with tape returns...duh...I've spent very little time with this board...looked at it but haven't really seen some of it if that makes sense...there are indeed TAPE IN jacks on RCA's behind the monitor section. So I assume that when you latch the TAPE RTN switch on a monitor channel, it sources the corresponding tape jack, and the monitor section feeds only the stereo buss right? Then the LINE jacks can feed the channel strip (by latching the LINE switch by the TRIM pots) defeating the XLR input, OR you can leave the LINE switch unlatched which sources the XLR jack to the strip, but you can still feed the LINE jack to the AUX 1 buss via the LINE switch by the AUX 1 send pot on the strip right? In this way the AUX 1 buss can be used for a tape cue while still leaving all your mics plugged in...I'd be using the LINE inputs to connect the outs of an 8 track deck...I don't understand the practicality of the TAPE IN jacks and monitor section in light of the above...and what does the monitor section source with the TAPE RTN switches out?

BTW, I love yer anecdotes from back in the day...valuable perspective... ;)

Hey, technoplayer...

And the extra knobs appear to be different style.

On second thought you are half-right about those mystery knobs being different...taking a closer look tonight under better lighting they are totally the same style but a slightly lighter shade of brown...supports the notion that they were added some time after the mixer was manufactured.

Yeah...the blue mystery knobs on mine are definitely non-stock, but whoever added them did a nice job on drilling the holes, and the pots were soldered into the group channel PCB's where the AUX 3 & 4 pots would be on a 312 or 320...dunno yet what they feed...I'll find out though. ;) I'm wondering if the feed the mystery jacks...maybe those jacks are AUX 3 & 4 outs sans master, but that wouldn't make sense bacause they'd be lacking the amp stages of those masters...anyway, to be determined...

Okay...Danny, I don't know what I'm talking about with tape returns...duh...I've spent very little time with this board...looked at it but haven't really seen some of it if that makes sense...there are indeed TAPE IN jacks on RCA's behind the monitor section. So I assume that when you latch the TAPE RTN switch on a monitor channel, it sources the corresponding tape jack, and the monitor section feeds only the stereo buss right? Then the LINE jacks can feed the channel strip (by latching the LINE switch by the TRIM pots) defeating the XLR input, OR you can leave the LINE switch unlatched which sources the XLR jack to the strip, but you can still feed the LINE jack to the AUX 1 buss via the LINE switch by the AUX 1 send pot on the strip right? In this way the AUX 1 buss can be used for a tape cue while still leaving all your mics plugged in...I'd be using the LINE inputs to connect the outs of an 8 track deck...I don't understand the practicality of the TAPE IN jacks and monitor section in light of the above...and what does the monitor section source with the TAPE RTN switches out?

BTW, I love yer anecdotes from back in the day...valuable perspective... ;)

Cory,

I'll try to scan in a signal flow chart for you soon.

Danny

Oh cool...Danny that'd be great. There's one at the back of the brochure I linked up in the first post but the scan was at too low a resolution to see any of the fine print.

I have sourced a manual I can refer to. It'll be a week or two before I can look at it. If you don't get to scanning the flow diagram before I get my hands on a manual I will post here to save you the trouble, but if you do get to it that'd be great...unanswered questions...:eek::D

You're sick man. :-)

BTW my first mixer was a JVC 6x2 with a built in spring reverb! Connected that to a Sony TC-277-4, I could do FOUR TRACKs (sort of...) I still have the mixer, the kid next door uses it with a soundblaster card and audacity...

Back