Tascam M-108 or M-208

bearhead

I posted this on Gearslutz, and no one responded, so I'm going to try posting it here...

Okay, so I'm recording a new album this spring, and I want to have a really warm and punchy sound. I know the M-108 was used on Toro y Moi's album, Underneath the Pine.

Anyway, I want to know which mixer is going to be more dependable, also which one sounds "warmer". I'm not sure if tape was used in the production, or if it was plugins regarding to tape simulation. I don't have the kind of money to buy both a mixer and a tape machine. I have cassette recorders, but cassettes aren't anything near reel to reel tape, though cassettes serve their purpose.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :thumbs up:

The Tascam M-208 is a better mixer overall. If you're trying to keep it compact and don't need eight channels the M-106 is excellent as well. The M-106 is from the same era as the M-208 and not related to the M-108 design. If you need more than eight channels take a look at the M-216.

Well, there's a 208 I've been looking at on ebay, and it's cheaper than the 106 I found on there. See, I'm looking for kind of a dirty sound. Not extremely distorted or anything, just something crispy, and well... warm. The preamps in my 414 don't really sound that great, so I don't want to use it as a mixer. I really only mess with it when I want a really lofi mix. So, which would bring me more towards that warm tone? I don't want a crystal clear sound coming from the mixer. Also, what should I expect from the mixer, and is there any certain EQing I should do, besides a roll off on the highs? :listeningmusic:

I wouldn't look for "Warmth" at the mixing stage. Perhaps an absence of harshness by avoiding certain digital EQ, but if you're looking for "Dirty" while still being musical, op-amp and transistor distortion is not it. No need to roll off the highs for analog recording. Push the tape rather than the electronics. The M-200 series will be kind to your signal.

Back