Tascam FW 1884 mods.

marvkan

I know alot of us are also subscribed at GS. I recently posted a new thread there to see if there would be enough FW 1884 users who would be interested in "banding" together to approach Black Lion Audio to do the same level mods that they offer for the 002. My thinking is that, if enough of us are interested and it is physically possible to offer a clock and audio upgrade, it would be woth their while. I spoke to Matt there many months ago. he said it is not an impossibility, he would have to see the inside of the machine. Tell me what you think.........

what difficulties is it your expeiencing with the clock???? how do i iknow i need it???? and as to the audio upgrade .... what are ya gonna change???? i havent found a pin compatable change for the codec....

dementedchord said:
what difficulties is it your expeiencing with the clock???? how do i iknow i need it???? and as to the audio upgrade .... what are ya gonna change???? i havent found a pin compatable change for the codec....
Good questions. I "don't" know if you need any mods. If you haven't found a compatible pin for the codec ,then that might be the "kicker"that puts an end to this!. Not trying to "stir" anything up, or upset anyone here,just wanted to see who might be interested in making a decent machine more decent--if at all possible---that simple........cheers...

understood... you and i know we've discussed this before and i'm not trying to discourage you... but how do i know i've got a jitter problem??? and an upgrade to the pre's would be easy enough we both know it's built around a 4580 op-amp and there's lotsa better opamps out there... start looking at the burr-browns...

dementedchord said:
understood... you and i know we've discussed this before and i'm not trying to discourage you... but how do i know i've got a jitter problem??? and an upgrade to the pre's would be easy enough we both know it's built around a 4580 op-amp and there's lotsa better opamps out there... start looking at the burr-browns...

I introduced a friend's lucid x 96 clock into my system for a couple of hours. I "think" (if you know what I mean), that I heard a difference sonically. If what I heard was "true", that tells me that the native clock of the FW could use some improvement.

i hear ya brother... just seems to me (my anal retentive tech side) that there ought to be a way to test for these issuses... i know people swear by upgrades and i'm not adverse to the possibility just want to make sure it's real/verifiable...

Hey - i am sure that both of you guys are aware of the Mod being discussed over at the Tascam Forum - I am also on your thread at GS but thought that if you have not seen it take a look - The thread is titled "Dead Inputs 1,2"

I think both of you guys are already there but just in case..........

Back