Tascam DR-22WL vs. Zoom H4N Pro

Dan Finnegan

I have both of these recorders and use them primarily to record concert band concerts. I have used the Tascam recorder for about six years now, and recently picked up the Zoom H4n Pro and used it for the first time at a recent concert. I am not super "techy" in terms of these recorders yet, so I do not have more advanced ones like anything later than the Zoom H5 or the Portacapture recorders from Tascam.

I have noticed a slight difference in terms of the audio quality between the two (keep in mind that I am using the built-in microphones, as I do not have experience yet with using the XLR inputs and external microphones). For both, I do not use the LCF (low cut filter) function and enable the limiter. I have found the Zoom is better to not pick up so much ambient sound compared to the Tascam, but the Tascam has a bit more of a "fuller" sound whereas the Zoom sounds more thinner (or maybe it's more focused on the subject). It's more noticeable when hearing the bass drum or tympani.

Despite my thoughts, I wanted to hear other people's opinions about comparing/contrasting the two and see if there's a preference for either one. I know it is entirely up to me and my own choosing, but I am interested to hear other people's experiences as well.

I think the differences you are hearing are going to be due to the differences in the internal microphones. I have an H4n, and while it does a credible job, it is nowhere close to what you can get with a pair of good external mics using the same H4n. They also give you the option of using different recording techniques, ORTF, X/Y, Mid/Side, Blumlein. You can combine the internal mic signal with external mics.

I've compared the H4n to my R-24, Yamaha AW1600 and my Tascam interface. The overall sound quality was very close between units, far less difference than I get if I compare my different microphones (Rode NT1, WA47jr, Miktek MK300, SM57, Senn e835, etc).

I think the differences you are hearing are going to be due to the differences in the internal microphones. I have an H4n, and while it does a credible job, it is nowhere close to what you can get with a pair of good external mics using the same H4n. They also give you the option of using different recording techniques, ORTF, X/Y, Mid/Side, Blumlein. You can combine the internal mic signal with external mics.

I've compared the H4n to my R-24, Yamaha AW1600 and my Tascam interface. The overall sound quality was very close between units, far less difference than I get if I compare my different microphones (Rode NT1, WA47jr, Miktek MK300, SM57, Senn e835, etc).
That could be it as well. However, like I said, I do not have any experience (yet) with external microphones, so for the time being, I am using the internal microphones, which, in my opinion, are perfectly fine for what I am using it for. The band director doesn't seem to mind it either.
I was mainly interested in seeing if anyone has experienced using the two recorders I mentioned and see if they have a preference for one over the other (or at least has a preference to using either Tascam or Zoom recorders), and again, primarily in terms of the internal microphones.

That could be it as well. However, like I said, I do not have any experience (yet) with external microphones, so for the time being, I am using the internal microphones, which, in my opinion, are perfectly fine for what I am using it for. The band director doesn't seem to mind it either.
I was mainly interested in seeing if anyone has experienced using the two recorders I mentioned and see if they have a preference for one over the other (or at least has a preference to using either Tascam or Zoom recorders), and again, primarily in terms of the internal microphones.
I can't speak personally about the Tascam but I use the Zoom H4N frequently. The mics are infinitely usable and even though I have an ok mic locker I'd never think of going that route. It's just not necessary, at least for me. Even in fairly critical scenarios, the mics are really capable. In most cases, the environment and or the room make a far bigger difference than mics.

Here is a simple recording I did for a q some years back using only the Zoom.

Nice playing, Joseph.

For the purposes of the OP, either one will work.

One thing that I prefer with the Zoom is that the files are in standard wave or MP3 format (your choice). Some of the Tascams use a proprietary format which means you have to go through an export function to get things on a computer for editing. Audio files are in a special partition that Windows or Mac can't read. With the H4n and R-24, you just pull the SD card and stick it in a computer, and drag and drop the files to your computer. It's a simple FAT32 format. It may sound like a small thing, but I save the SD cards, like one would do with a tape. 5 years down the road, I can pull out the SD card an play with them, even if I don't have the Zoom. With the Tascam, if you don't the recorder anymore, you're kind of screwed unless you went through the export process.

This is a segment from a recording done 10 years ago. It was done with the H4n internal mics.

Attachments

• H4n recording - internal mics.mp3
    1.4 MB
Back