Tascam DP03 recording advice needed.

Denv12

I bought the Tascam DP03 replace my aging Tascam 414 Mk2 cassette deck.
I use 1 XLR mic and 2 standard 6.5 dual leads from Piano Out" to A and B Inputs.I record onto track 1 and Track 2. when I want to record a song.I have a few questions:

1)Should the pan be set on track 1 right round to the full left and track 2 pan to the full left?

2)To get the best sound recording of the mic and the piano,whats the best way to set that up?

Does anyone else have the DP03?

Its just a basic home studio.

After I export the 2 WAV files onto computer I use "Audacity" software.I export the new file back into a computer folder.

Thanks.

Answer and question...

1)Should the pan be set on track 1 right round to the full left and track 2 pan to the full left?
2)To get the best sound recording of the mic and the piano,whats the best way to set that up?

Does anyone else have the DP03?

Thanks.

Yes, I Just got a DP03 two days ago.

1) regardless of your instruments/voice/sfx panning extreme to get a stereo sound is not really a great mix - even for just two sounds. Even if you record on two microphones in the same room spaced a little apart you don't want to just pan extreme.
For something like you described I'd maybe pan left 12-15% and right 12-15% and take it from there. Then just listen... where are the gaps? Close your eyes and listen. Watch your meters. Is the left really high, and the right really low? Perhaps you need to boost gain on the right to get an even sound. Spread your sound around, but it's usually best not to leave gaps right down the center.
2) Piano... use the classic technique you may have seen before. Open the lid. Place your mic inside the body of the piano (assuming you have a mic stand). Don't aim directly down, angle it across the strings a little. Experiment to find your best mic placement. Placement will depend on whether you use a dynamic or conder mic.

Now... my question. How in the hell do I export my recordings on the DP-03 to a PC?! I fluked it once. The manual is very vague. It doesn't describe the whole process. Apparently you have to copy your songs on the FAT portion of your SD card then you can export them as WAV to your PC. Can somebody please treat me like an idiot (I actually have a degree in Audio Engineering) and explain in steps how to get my DP-03 recorded songs onto my Win 7 PC.

I can help out there.On page 68 starting with "exporting tracks."

You go into your data wheel.got to import/export,go to export,click on the files you recorded,click next,exec.Just follow the instructions on the screen.
It will take time to go through that process then you hook your DP03 to your pc.(I also have win7.)
Open the WAV folder.Transfer files to your pc folder.
From there I import to audacity then export off there to another pc folder.

Make sure you have your folder on your computer so you can transfer your WAV files to it.

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/525/e_dr-03_om_va.pdf

As for your suggestions on my problem ,I'll try your suggestions and take it from there.
I bought a Kurzweil Artis 88 note stage piano few weeks ago.

I just recorded a sampler.I'll take you through each step:
press menu,scroll down to import/export,
scroll to export,press F4,
tick your file boxes,
click next,click exec.
Allow that process to finish.Depending on your recording length it will take time.
Click home.
Connect cable from DP03 to pc.
Go to Start menu on pc.
Go to computer,
Click on DP03 (E:)
transfer your WAV files to your new folder.
Eject cable,etc.

Make folder on computer for your WAV files.

Back