Tascam DP01FXCD "Song" editing question

nhdiver

Hello, sorry if I'm repeating a question but I can't find it by searching or in any of the Tascam docs. I have a DP01FX/CD unit that I use to record concert band concerts, rehearsals, etc. so I'm not using it in a studio setting, song by song.

I create a "song" on the HD using the clumsy manual dial, record the first half of the concert, stop it for the break/intermission and start it recording again for the second half. The Tascam makes a single song of the entire concert, logically, but I can't figure out how to break out the actual songs into individual songs that make up separate tracks on a CD. Some of these concerts record into over 1GB sized files, which causes my Audacity software to crash. If I try to cut out each song and save it, the original concert "song" is overwritten even if I rename the song being saved (so a "save as" feature would be nice, Tascam!).

Any ideas or work arounds for this little problem? I suppose we could a hire a sound guy and teach him how to choose each song, arm the tracks, and do this for each tune we play in a concert, but that seems a bit of a waste of money (and time, creating each "song" with Tascam's clumsy controls). Help!

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
A newbie to your forum

the dp 01 fx is set up so you can do almost anything you want with it, but it's not always easy. i have a solution for you but i hope someone else has a better one cause mine is rather involved.

-mark each between point for each song and write it down. you'll need to use those marks later.

assuming you have no available tracks to work with...

1. take track 1 and 2, set in and out points covering the whole show on those tracks. and set the to point in the same place as the out. (this is so you can put the tracks back where they were and still be synced later.
2. cut and paste the selected parts onto the end of track three and four.
3. clean out track 1 and 2. (just to make sure the track length is zero.)

now you have a pair of tracks to work with.

4. set in and out points highlighting the last song on tracks three and four. (be sure to use the in and out marks you noted earlier.
5. cut and paste that selection to track one and two.
6. export track one and two and rename.

wipe track 1 and 2 and repeat steps 4 to 6 on the rest of the songs. when you get down to just tracks three and four left, move the extra length back to a pair of tracks and repeat steps 4 to 6 again.

you'll get your songs off one track at a time that way. but like i said, i hope someone has an easier way.

I was afraid you were going to say that . . . . :)

Thanks for the help, Nicole, I'll give that a shot and see how it works out. At the very least, maybe I can chop the files in half for Audacity to digest easier.

Cheers!

step 4 should read tracks 5 and 6 or tracks 7 and 8 not 3 and 4.

and yeah i was afraid that would be the best and only solution.

i think i'd take the time to hire someone to create a new song for each song. it doesnt' take that long. and if you have a couple of songs that run together in the show, then it's no biggie to separate two or three rather than the whole night or whole set.

Back