Tascam DP-24 Technical Question on Reverb

SellYourMusic

1) How do I get the reverb onto a track while I am recording it?
2) How do I mute a track while I am recording it, such as muting the
microphone in between verses while recording vocals
3) Is it possible to assign a reverb effect to a vocal channel while recording the vocal, so I can monitor the vocal with reverb?
4) If I've already recorded a vocal track dry, how do I listen to it back with reverb
on it ?

NOTE: The users manual is very confusing with regards to the effects sends! Does the tutorial DVD cover this?

I spent over an hour trying to navigate through the confusing menu options and finally gave up!

Hello,

I will try to answer some points, but my english isn't good. Sorry about that.

1) I most use reverb only for mixdown, but if I need different reverb settings, I record dry and then add reverb while playback and bounce this track to another free track. Then this destination track will be incl. reverb. The source track you could delete then.

2) My way is to insert silence at this parts after recording. You could also try the noise-supressor while recording.

3) Use the send reverb while recording. You can hear it, but the record will be without reverb.

4) Use the send reverb.

Regards Peter

Hi, just got my DP-24 and was having the same problem that you describe. If you are still in need of help, here's what I came up with;

1) On the EFFECTS screen, turn on effects with F4. Then assuming REVERB is selected, choose HALL from the library (F2), then cursor over to the RETURN setting and set the value all the way to 127 (you can experiment later with lesser values)
2) on the MIXER screen; choose the TRACK you are going to record on (assuming you have assigned the track an input and have armed to track to record) turn the SEND 1 value to POST and dial a value from 60-80. Then turn the SEND Master 1 to approx. 100

Test the sound and you should hear plenty of REVERB. The key to REVERB is the RETURN value. It must be set pretty high. Experiment with different values for RETURN, SEND 1, MASTER SEND 1 and you'll get the hang of it.

Hope this helps!

Good information

Your answer is obvious but not one I had thought of - so thanks. I am not a big fan or recording with effects, so auditioning effects on playback for various tracks and then doing a bounce (assuming available tracks) is a great option. The DP-24 looks good but the use of only one built in effect on mixdown is limiting and, as far as I'm concerned, recording with effects is problematic to say the least.

You can always back up source tracks if you don't like the final result with effects.

Hello,

I will try to answer some points, but my english isn't good. Sorry about that.

1) I most use reverb only for mixdown, but if I need different reverb settings, I record dry and then add reverb while playback and bounce this track to another free track. Then this destination track will be incl. reverb. The source track you could delete then.

2) My way is to insert silence at this parts after recording. You could also try the noise-supressor while recording.

3) Use the send reverb while recording. You can hear it, but the record will be without reverb.

4) Use the send reverb.

Regards Peter

Regarding reverb, you can set the the reverb to PRE or POST. Press the green select button on which track you intend to record on, then press the mixer button and select the reverb to post.
Hope this helps.

just a point I found out the hard way. unless I am not reading the manual correctly it is not stated in it

effects will not work unless the the PRE or POST setting is set.

just an FYI, of course I bet everyone on here knew this except for me :)

This thread makes me remember how frustrating it was to get the effects to work. The manual needs a rewrite, and Tascam should eventually rethink how this is engineered.

Tascam should eventually rethink how this is engineered.

Why? It works the way any board would work. Send effects and insert effects are 2 different things and they work the same way on the TASCAM that they would on any analog board or DAW. if one doesn't know how to assign send effects, don't blame TASCAM.

Why? It works the way any board would work. Send effects and insert effects are 2 different things and they work the same way on the TASCAM that they would on any analog board or DAW. if one doesn't know how to assign send effects, don't blame TASCAM.
Exactly. But I do have to admit that limitations can be confusing ... ie, when using compression as a dynamic effect you're somewhat limited as to what you have available for inserts and sends. But I agree, there's nothing "wrong" with Tascam's implementation, but the documentation is wanting for sure. I found that this to be helpful, and was $30 well spent ... Tascam DP-24 (DP-32) DVD Tutorial | ProAudioDVDs.comProAudioDVDs.com

Back