Tascam DP-03SD vs Zoom R8…?

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade my ageing Tascam DP-02 Portastudio and have narrowed it down to 2 machines: Tascam DP-3SD and the Zoom R8. Both have very good reviews, are similarly priced here and I’m having difficulty deciding between the two. I don’t play in a band, just general mucking around with piano, guitar and multitrack vocals at home.

I am also very tempted by a second hand Zoom R24 for around $235. I realise that 24 tracks is huge overkill for my current needs but this machine also has excellent write ups and the price seems right.

I would be very interested in your comments.

Many thanks, Richard.

I just saw your post, I have had the Zoom R8 for about two years now and I love it. It records very clean, assuming you are careful with the input level, of course, as with all recorders. The manual is pretty extensive as the R8 has a lot of features, including amp types, a few mic programs, full efx, a mastering program so you can master to two track when you finish your project. If you purchased the R8 already I hope you're as happy with the unit as I am, sorry I missed this question, I started playing out again and haven't been on this forum awhile. I'll check in for awhile see what you decided. Good luck.

Hi Richard. Like Darth, I didn't see this post earlier.

I went with the R24 a half dozen years ago. I never think having too many tracks is overkill, and having 8 inputs means I can use it for live recording situations as well as home. Just having 2 input channels was too limiting. I found that out when I got my H4n. It's ok for doing simple projects, like recording a guitar and vocal.

Before I got back into recording, I had a backlog of original songs I needed to submit for Copyright registration, so I bought a DP-03SD and recorded my vocal and one acoustic 6-string through the built-in microphones (separate tracks). It worked great for that, like an old-school stereo tape recorder.

I planned on expanding with XLR mics and Line-in guitars when I discovered DAWs and Reaper, so I set the DP-03SD aside.

I think it would be great for capturing ideas, jam sessions and band practice.

I think it's a mistake not to consider the Tascam DP-24SD. At $399 it is a bargain. So much bang for the buck.

Hi Richard. Like Darth, I didn't see this post earlier.

I went with the R24 a half dozen years ago. I never think having too many tracks is overkill, and having 8 inputs means I can use it for live recording situations as well as home. Just having 2 input channels was too limiting. I found that out when I got my H4n. It's ok for doing simple projects, like recording a guitar and vocal.

Thanks TalismanRich, the 2nd hand R24 has just gained some brownie points ☺️.

Kind regards, Richard.

I am happy with my Tascam DP24SD as it allows to record and completely mix a song. Even some limited mastering is possible. Not sure if the Zoom can do this as well. However, if you only use it for recording and use a DAW for mixing on the computer anyway, then it does not really matter.

I am happy with my Tascam DP24SD as it allows to record and completely mix a song. Even some limited mastering is possible. Not sure if the Zoom can do this as well. However, if you only use it for recording and use a DAW for mixing on the computer anyway, then it does not really matter.
Yes, the R24 has a full group of mastering tools (eq, compression, etc) and you can mix down to a final stereo track. It's not as easy or as intuitive as just pulling the WAV files and mixing in a DAW, but it can be done.

Back