tascam dp-008ex

Doobs

hello all ..looking for a little assistance
tho i have recorded "some" I think there's a smarter way ... this unit has the internal mic and option to use ext source, which is what I want to do, however, to keep myself "on track" yuk, yuk, I find strumming and singing (together) 1st go round easiest, then add other tracks as desired ...
so, if I plug into the ext mic jack for the microphone (say B) and ext guitar jack,(say A) for the git ...where should the switch go to optimize the 2 items
1661270643750.png

The switch only sets the input for the A channel, so set that to "guitar" and plug the guitar into the 1/4" input. Plug the mic into the XLR for input B. You should be good to go.

See Page 14 of the owners manual here: DP008ex Manual

Set the MIC/LINE–GUITAR switch on the rear
panel to GUITAR....

so, the question I think I am really asking... does this "optimize" the ext mic I want to plug in ?
if it were, for example, just the mic (trk 2 say, for this ex) the switch would go to the " mic/line " position , but since it is already set to guitar...?!?
the manual, wants U to use the internal mic, which obviously, I could do, just trying to get the best option for the way I play
meaning
I am easily lost, playing w/o singing at the same time :sneaky: and trying to get the best possible sound recorded,,,
thanx

I repeat: The switch only sets the input for the A channel

The second input doesn't care what the switch says. Just plug in the microphone in channel B, and make sure you turn phantom power on if you have a condenser mic that requires it. You have to set the input to external using the jog wheel. I don't know what mic you are using, so you probably need to try either the external Mid or High gain for setting the input gain range. Low range is for line input levels.

There are a bunch of Youtube videos for the DP008.

Here's a quick rundown of setting the inputs for external:

That switch only has 2 positions? And one of them is Mic/Line meaning that either mic or line level sources can be plugged into it?
Makes no sense to me. I'm interested in this because I have a little hardware unit that can accept Line or Mic level signal by using the same Jack input, there is no switch or option to change impedance, how does it know? Does it not matter? I mean.... Mic level and Line level are the complete opposite ends of the spectrum?

Maybe I should have learned this stuff over a decade ago.........

The Mic/Line sensitivity is set using the jog wheel when you select an external source. For line and mics, the impedance via XLR is 2.4KOhms, normal for a mic input. Via 1/4" jack, it is 10K which is somewhat typical of line inputs. Choosing guitar just changes the impedance to more closely suit a guitar input (1 Meg) which requires a higher impedance level than a mic or line input. Mic typically put out lower voltages than line outputs. Typical condensers will put out something in the 20-40mV range. Consumer line outputs are around 700mV. Select the External LOW setting to use line inputs. Choosing Mid or High increases the sensitivity, so it will be able to read the mic's lower level. You also have the trim pot to adjust sensitivity.

DP08input.jpg

I really appreciate that explanation, I was never any good with the technical side. Lack of outboard gear means I've never had to worry too much. I kind of had the 1meg impedance for guitar in my thoughts, and there is something about making sure it is either at least 10x greater or smaller when plugging something new in but apart from that I am completely clueless. It helps a lot with what you wrote though.

I took this from my User manual of the little ArtTube I have.

"¼" INPUT JACK

The ¼" Input jack is for instrument and line level inputs. It has a high
input impedance to minimize any loading effects on instrument
pickups. It can also handle up to +22 dBu signals for line level signals"

I was wrong, it was not Mic/Line that was interchangeable, it was Inst/Line. But still... I wouldn't have thought you could just plug a guitar for eg: straight into a line input on an interface and record away happily? This is what is confusing me..... There is no switch or setting that I am aware of that changes the impedance of that input to tell the interface that it is either an Instrument, or Line level source plugged in.

Reason I am looking into this now is because I want to have a go re-amping today, throught the ARTTubeMP V3, I want to see if I can add some warmth/thickness to all of my tracks as a quick experiment, and then see which mix I prefer. So I was thinking each of my tracks routed out of the DAW, into my Re-amping box which converts from Line>Inst, and then straight into the ART and back through into the RadialJDI (which is expecting to see a Line level input or Inst level I am assuming?) But again.... this confuses me because am I outputting a mic level signal from the JDI? If I am then, in the past I was clipping the crap out of the interface even with the pre-amps down to the minimum so I had to use the Line-In, or engage the PAD on the mic input on the interface? I'm just not sure if I am degrading the signal or messing up something seriously in the chain? I had a really hot level going into the Radial JDI, but this was intentional.

No worries if you don't answer my weird little experiment, I am kinda highjacking the thread a little bit here anyway

EDIT:
The instructions are confusing me!

"OPERATION​

The main application of the Tube MP Studio V3™ is a microphone
preamplifier. Plug any microphone directly into either input and set the
input and output controls to provide an appropriate level into the next
stage of your system.
Use the Tube MP Studio V3™ as an acoustic or piezo pickup
preamplifier to run directly into a console, amp, processor, recorder, or
sound card.
The Tube MP Studio V3™ is ideal for use as a DI box. Plug the
instrument into either input and use the XLR or ¼" (or both) outputs to
connect to your recorder, board or PA system.
Because of its low noise and excellent tonal qualities, the Tube MP
Studio V3™ is ideal for running mixes through before recording to DAT
or cassette. Used as a mastering device, the Tube MP Studio V3™ is
capable of adding warmth and gentle tube compression to the signal.
Variable Input and Output level controls make the Tube MP Studio
V3™ ideal for level matching material in postproduction situations."

It says to plug a microphone into any input, or an instrument into any input? does it not matter? (I am sure it does, pluggin a mic into a socket that is expecting to see inst, or Linein level can't be right! I am more willing to believe the instructions are wrong) But just wanted to clarify.....

Last edited:
I repeat: The switch only sets the input for the A channel

The second input doesn't care what the switch says. Just plug in the microphone in channel B, and make sure you turn phantom power on if you have a condenser mic that requires it. You have to set the input to external using the jog wheel. I don't know what mic you are using, so you probably need to try either the external Mid or High gain for setting the input gain range. Low range is for line input levels.

There are a bunch of Youtube videos for the DP008.

Here's a quick rundown of setting the inputs for external:

o k ...is there a "simple" explanation, for an old simpleton that is moi ...the use of "low / mid / high" in various applications ...generally speaking ?
I see how in "high" the volume registers at a lower level on the "gain" adjustment..tho don't know why :unsure: and with the experimenting I try, it's sometimes the guitar w/ the ext input (mostly) but , and all the guitars are acoustic, some Not electric acoustic...so will use the internal mic, or plug the acoustics thru the small fender amp, then use a mic in front of the amp, or use the internal mic as well .... so wonder if there is a formula for optimal recording, relative to those lo/mid/hi positions ? also have a portable keyboard I am trying to decipher, w/ the tones o instruments as well as drums ...:oops: and , so see variations in volume levels etc, changes for gain,,,but again ...
don't know why
apologies for this likely being pretty basic stuff for many ..as a septugenarian just gettin goin ...well , ya know :geek:

The choice of Low Mid High is the amount of sensitivity on the input channel.

If you have a high signal coming in (like a preamp or mixer) that puts out 700mV then you need lower sensitivity
If you have a condenser mic that puts out 35mv, the Mid sensitivity might be appropriate.
If you have a dynamic mic that puts out 1.5mV, then you need high sensitivity to get to a proper recording level.

Its a bit of a unique method used for the DP-008. It's a way to make sure that you don't plug a mic in and get a level of -40 on the meter, and then plug in a mixer and overload it with +10 on the meter. Just set the level so that you get a reasonable level. If you get too much, go a step lower. If you don't see a signal go a step higher.

For electric guitars, I like to use an amp and mic. I do have an old PODxt that I can use directly. It really works for bass guitar for me. For acoustics, I like to use mics. I have some small diameter condensers, the Rode M5s, AKG P170s and Lauten LA120. Mine has a preamp, but it just doesn't sound like a real acoustic. It would be fine for a live performance, but for recording I want the real sound.

BTW, I'm just a year away from being a septuagenarian, so I'm not going to let you off with that as an excuse. :spank: :ROFLMAO:

Back