Tascam DP-008EX.

Retired

Hi,

My violins seem so far out of reach; I'm rushing around this morning painting the bench parts and have just knocked off for a mug of tea having just applied the second coat of gloss paint to the wooden slats; I hope to give the bench ends a first coat of gloss before dinnertime; after dinner I'll cut the grass then I think I'm free for the rest of the day so I'll play with the new monitors and I'm keen to try the new gold rosin out.

Bench slats_0001.JPG
Undercoated.

Bench slats_0002.JPG
First top coat of gloss applied yesterday; this morning I've just applied the second coat of gloss so these are now sorted; next job is to paint the bench ends. I always have time for jobs needing doing but little time for things I'd like to do. I used a 2" paint roller to paint these but it was still time consuming. Got to go I'm busy again.

Kind regards, Colin.

Retired

Hi,

I'm still struggling for studio time but I've had a chance to play with the new monitors. A selection of cables were supplied with the monitors but only one mono 5m cable I could use to connect the amplified monitor to the Tascam with; the Tascam has two outputs so I've ordered more cables then I can fully connect them. I'm delighted though so far just playing through a single monitor and I'm keen to learn what difference it will make once the new cables arrive.

I had problems and really struggled whilst trying to use the Laney guitar amp ending up thinking it wasn't suitable to connect to the Tascam because although I did get it to play by connecting the Tascam to the guitar input on the amp when I tried to increase volume it started shrieking very loudly and the volume control on the amp did nothing at all; connecting the new monitor up the problem remained and now it was obvious my ignorance was at fault and not my kit; the only reference to "Volume" I could find on the Tascam was at the back but now I know this relates to phones. Something wasn't right so I started playing around with the Tascam front panel controls and suddenly everything fell into place; I could play back at high volume and the volume control also worked on the mintor so at last I was happy. Out of interest I then connected the Laney amp and now this too works perfectly with AUX connected; I shouldn't be let loose on all this equipment without adult supervision; everything takes so much time especially when I'm forever busy trying to keep up with the bungalow and gardens maintenance.

I was out very early this morning doing exterior painting in what is forecast a breeze when in fact I should have nailed my cap on; I've just come indoors for a mug of tea and to get warm; it's perishing cold working in the wind on our exposed valley side. Yesterday I was doing more painting including 50' length of handrails (Mopstick); hedges needed trimming grass needed cutting and weeding too; there aren't enough hours in a day and having worked so hard I find it a struggle trying to play my violins whilst my fingers are stiff and my arms ache; at 74 and fully retired I'm running flat out just to stand still. The bench parts are fully painted and when the stainless steel screws arrive I can reassemble it; I've sealant to replace to exterior frames because our bungalow front is exposed to extremes of weather; it never lets up; I hope I'm not moaning but it's just the way my life is every day.

I gently used meths to clean the bow hair and violin strings then I applied the new Pirastro Gold Rosin; I immediately noticed a lot of difference; this new Gold seems to grab the strings better and playing back through the new monitor my playing even sounds better which pleases me no end; I'm working like mad to get on top of all the jobs around home in order to get some quality studio time.

I used a 2" foam roller to apply paint to the bench slats but had to use a brush to apply paint to the fancy heavy cast iron bench ends so now the bench is fully painted; the handrails are painted and I've been painting to the bungalow front this morning; I'm definitely spending some time in the studio later today whatever is thrown at me; here's a couple more pictures just for interest.

104_3747.JPG
Handrail rubbed down and spot primed.

104_3749.JPG
Handrail fully gloss painted; another job ticked off. This handrail is one of two I painted the other is to our rear garden.

Bench ends_0003.JPG
Garden bench ends now fully gloss painted ready for final assembly then I can also tick this job off.

UPDATE,

Why do I bother; it's now pouring with rain; here is named West Yorkshire when in fact it should be more correctly named WET Yorkshire; every time I do exterior painting it rains. If I tried to shoot myself I'd miss. Yes trhis is a moan.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

Retired

Hi,

Many thanks TalismanRich; normally I'd fully agree with you but why is mother nature so bountiful with her rain every time I want to do exterior painting; normal exterior maintenance like recently felling 15 very tall trees I could wrap up against the snow; hail; rain and high wind and suffer the climate but the last brushful of paint is the trigger; GRRRRR it really annoys me; the sun is now shining I'm indoors but I've just been out in the wind trimming honeysuckle to the bungalow front and it's been unpleasant being buffetted by the wind but this is a job ticked off for a few days.

Good idea though to fire up the Tascam and this is what I've been doing this afternoon; the new Rode NT1-A microphone arrived and I've tried connecting it to the Tascam but so far no sound from it so another learning curve; the mic is easy to connect to the Tascam using the long heavy cable supplied but it's sorting the Tascam settings out I'm having a spot of trouble with but I'll learn; I did switch on phantom power but it's the menu section I need to sort out.

This Rode amplifier though is a beauty; much heavier than I expected and robustly made; the packing it came in was bomb proof and took some opening but it arrived in perfect condition and when I register it will have a ten year warranty; not the cheapest of mics but it's well liked and been around for years. I played the violin and tried using the mic but rare sunshine appeared so I dashed out to trim the honeysuckle.

Rode mic._0001.JPG
Just some of the packing; there's another big box I've already disposed of.

Rode mic._0002.JPG
Can't say fairer than this.

The fast pace I'm working at should soon see all the maintenance jobs completed then perhaps I'll settle down for longer periods in the studio which I'm eagerly looking forward to; I feel permanently tired but doing everything ourselves saves a fortune and we know the job is done right.

Kind regards, Colin.

TalismanRich

That's funny you mention honeysuckle. Right now I have a waste can full of honeysuckle trimmings, assorted sticks and things. Shortly, I'll be trimming the taxus shrubs out front. If I let them go too long, I can't fit between them to go up the sidewalk! I think the new growth is about 4-5 inches already this year. The grass is getting cut every 4-5 days right now. The past several weeks have been in the 50's to 80's F with rain every few days, so things are REALLY blooming out. The cherry tree has already bloomed and the cherries are about 1cm in size. I'll be picking by month's end.

Time to go to the nursery and get some impatiens, begonias and petunias to spruce up the homestead! 🌷🌸🌺

Retired

Hi,

Thanks TalismanRich; honeysuckle sure puts on lots of growth when the climate warms up a bit; everything in our gardens is going ballistic as well meaning lots more work. I took our big cherry tree down years ago because it was too near the bungalow and I was afraid the roots might cause damage. I hope you enjoyed your time in the nursery.

I finally got time after 9 o'clock last night to sort the Rode mic out but because a stand wasn't supplied I had to make a stand so made a stand of offcuts I had in the workshop.

Mic stand_0001.JPG
Not pretty but cost nothing other than a bit of enjoyable workshop time and I can now move it around for best position.

Mic stand_0003.JPG
Nothing here is ever straightforward; I had to order new cables for the new monitors because only one 5m cable was supplied making the monitors only mono with one used at a time; the new cables arrived today so I'm very pleased indeed to have the Tascam putting out stereo and with the new Rode mic and the new amplified monitors my violin playing sounds better.

Kind regards, Colin.

Retired

Hi,

The garden bench is finally reassembled no thanks to the seller on eBay who stated the stainless 6mm screws were despatched but ended up wasting an extra three days when I opened a case against him only to receive a full refund; I then bought locally but the supplier hadn't the correct length in stock so I bought extra long meaning another job in cutting 28 to length using the hacksaw; everything slows me down; the weather is dire as usual; it's taken days to finally add sealant to window frame joints and paint it; just hassle with everything I touch these days; 4:30 this morning I was rudely awakened by rain bucketing down on the roof just above my head it being a bungalow so this morning we're awash again with everything outside soaking wet and lots of puddles everywhere.

Saturday I ticked six jobs off and yesterday ticked more jobs off; I'm at last getting on top but once again today I'm delayed; I want to attack our wrought iron railings with the angle grinder but as I say everything is soaking wet so just another hold up; I want to get all these jobs out of the way because I'm fed up of snatching just bits of time to practice playing my violins; with all this work it makes my fingers stiff and my arms ache but the weather is tormenting me as usual. GRRRRR.

Bench May 2022_0002.JPGBench May 2022_0003.JPG104_3778.JPGFrame sealant_0001.JPGFrame sealant_0002.JPG

The bench fully painted and reassembled an easy enough job normally but let down by the screw supplier adding over a week ro the job meaning the bench was cluttering the workshop. Whilst painting handrails I found one of the original brackets rusted at its corner and as these handrails are added for safety another simple job to bite me; the srews were rusted so I cut through the brackets using the hacksaw in order to gain better access taking lots more time than it should; the new brackets are stainless steel installed this time with stainless steel screws; just another job to keep me out of the studio.

Our site is subjected to extremes of weather here on the exposed valley side meaning constant maintenance to keep the weather out; a small job like sealing a wooden frame joint took days because of the weather; the linseed oil mastic had started to fail so I removed the lot but then I doubted the new cartridge sealant would adhere so I gave a sealing coat of Zinsser primer then gave a coat of black gloss then applied the sealant; another coat of Zinsser then two top coats of paint finally completed this small job; not only waiting for paint to dry but also waiting for permission from the weather. Just some of the jobs I've been doing. If I could have enjoyed a spell without bad weather I'd have done all these jobs much more quickly. I hope this doesn't sound like a moan because it's what my life is like all year round.

I could spend today in the studio but my hearts not in it with jobs hanging over me.

Kind regards, Colin.

Retired

Hi,

Another very busy day this time rubbing wrought iron railings down ready to be repainted starting at 8:30 this morning. Things are improving though because I've just enjoyed the best violin practice ever; totally relaxed becauseI I can now paint the railings at my leisure and then I don't think I've any more big jobs to do so fingers crossed for lots more violin practices to look forward to. Last night when I practiced it was very poor indeed with the D string falling out with me; obviously a problem with me but I just couldn't get it to play at all; today I closely inspected the D string and it's fine but I gave all the strings a clean and tonight I couldn't do anything wrong; what a strange but highly interesting hobby violin playing is.

Kind regards, Colin.

Retired

Hi,

Can I use my Tascam to play back through my powered monitors using the condenser mic on 48V phantom power without having to record first please or would I need something like an interface; I'm totally new to this kind of thing so please ignore my ignorance. I'd like to play my violins/balalaika through my powered monitors or through my guitar amplifier but my Rode NT1-A requires phantom power which the Tascam supplies.; at the moment I'm struggling with this. I'm now spending time in my studio with lots to learn. Many thanks.

Kind regards, Colin.

R D Smith

Hi,

Can I use my Tascam to play back through my powered monitors using the condenser mic on 48V phantom power without having to record first please or would I need something like an interface; I'm totally new to this kind of thing so please ignore my ignorance. I'd like to play my violins/balalaika through my powered monitors or through my guitar amplifier but my Rode NT1-A requires phantom power which the Tascam supplies.; at the moment I'm struggling with this. I'm now spending time in my studio with lots to learn. Many thanks.

Kind regards, Colin.
I play back a track I have already recorded and listen on head phones while recording a new track. I don't see why you couldn't play back through monitors.

Retired

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply R D Smith; much appreciated.

Like you I've no problems in recording a track and playing back but if possible I'd like to amplify as I play without actually recording; as I say all this is new to me but I see so many with a pick up microphone attached to their violin and simply playing directly through an amp; here's an example;

Karolina has the mic on her violin and this connects to a transmitter in her pocket; this I understand but where does the transmitter signal get converted allowing it to be played through the amp? I already have the Rode condenser mic and Tascam plus amplified monitors I also have a guitar amp to play around with; reading through the Tascam manual takes ages hence I thought I'd just ask on the forum.

I'm wary of playing around too much because a while ago I was using my guitar amp and thought I was going to destroy it because it suddenly lifted the roof; I think because I still had "Recording" switched on at the Tascam; I could buy an interface but don't understand these and would an interface then need a computer? My computer is remote from the studio.

I'd like to simply amplify without recording first? Can I use the Tascam to do this? The Tascam supplies the 48V phantom power to the Rode mic.

Sorry if I sound thick but I learn so much by asking questions; in meetings at work I was the one who would ask the silly questions no one else dare ask.

I have funds available but don't want to buy the wrong kit. I'm now keen to learn having time to get into the studio at last.

Kind regards, Colin.

Retired

Hi,

I'm still gathering kit and have now bought this;

I've also bought a laptop but not managed to connect everything up yet although I'm trying. I'll eventually win in the end.

Kind regards, Colin.