Tascam 80-8 will not play

The capstan turns but the pinch roller does not engage nor does fast forward/rewind engage either. Thanks for your time and help.

Check all the fuses. This could be a power supply problem. Other possible places: solenoid or relay. I doubt that all your switches died at once.

The unit powers up and all meters are lighted. The solenoid does not click when you hit play. The fuses appear to be ok. I'll have to test them with a meter to be sure. What did you mean about the power supply?

The unit powers up and all meters are lighted. The solenoid does not click when you hit play. The fuses appear to be ok. I'll have to test them with a meter to be sure. What did you mean about the power supply?

The power supply has different branches to send various voltages to specific places throughout the machine. It is possible for the machine to power up while the branch(es) for the switches or logic fail to deliver to their designated destination(s). I don't know the specifics of this machine in this regard but it's a common occurrence that a good tech can figure out. Anyway, check those fuses again.

Back