Tascam 788: READ BUSY!

DiverDave8

Good morning all!

Last night, I was back down in the music lab and had one of those "cardiac moments".

I was editing some tracks and I don't know if I hit 2 buttons at once or what, but I got a "READ BUSY!" error. I went to press PLAY and all I got was a flashing light. I couldn't go up and jog the time over, couldn't reset back to zero, couldn't ESCAPE out or anything.

Thinking that I was hopelessly frozen, I tried to close out my session by pressing EJECT/SHUT. The display froze with the YES/NO query. Nothing I did from that point on would get me moving again.

So I thought that the only way out was to coldboot the machine. Closed my eyes and shut it down and man I have to tell you as it was powering up, I was praying to the computer gods like there was no tommorrow.

After it ran through setup, everything worked fine; like it never happened.

I am not a big fan of poweringdown a 'puter before it's cleaned house so my question is, was there something else I could have done to get out of the freezeup? What would have caused it in the first place. Manual said something about a track out of timing or something but everything was off (clock not counting) before this happened.

Thanks again. Having a blast with it so far!

dd8

One precautionary thing you can do when working for long periods on one song is to close it out and bring up another song and then go back to it. Sometimes you can lose all your work. Also, from the song/select menu, load and erase are right next to each other and after long sessions it's easy to slip up.

Back