Tascam 788 **Am I brain dead**

Brad166

I got a 788 and Im enjoying its quality. The only thing is I find it a pain in the A$$ to use. Im a lazy or just brain dead. My friends Yamaha MD8 seems like a breeze compared to this complexity of modes and menues. Is this the norm for digital 8 trackers. Will I find other brands more user friendly. Im finding a copy of the user video guide to see if it clarifiys things. Thanks for your input.

I don't think you're brain dead, as there was a learning curve to the 788 for me also. Or I should say after two years, there still is! But what's apples to me, maybe oranges to you, and everyone's learning experience varies. I've met some folks who picked up the 788 without hardly reading any of the manual at all. YMMV

The video manual helped put a lot of things in perspective for me. It helped seeing Pat (Tascam's Product Manager for the 788 and the instructor in the video) put the 788 through it's paces. Sometimes it's easier to watch someone do a function rather than just reading about it.

I found my VHS copy on one of the old Tascam boards, but there's usually a copy or two on Ebay also.

One really great thing about learning the 788, if you decide to upgrade to the 2488, is that a lot of the functions and methods are the same.

-bruce

More info and help on the 788:
http://cmoore.com/forum/index.php
http://www.tascam2488.com/

Basic recording and mixing on a 788 is fairly simple. Just approach it from the standpoint of what you want to do with it and learn on a 'need to know' basis, adding the extra info when you get around to it.

Brad166 said:
I got a 788 and Im enjoying its quality. The only thing is I find it a pain in the A$$ to use. Im a lazy or just brain dead. My friends Yamaha MD8 seems like a breeze compared to this complexity of modes and menues. Is this the norm for digital 8 trackers. Will I find other brands more user friendly. Im finding a copy of the user video guide to see if it clarifiys things. Thanks for your input.

That is one of the many reasons I switched over to analog. Perhaps this is something you should consider ? Digital may be the "norm" now but it doesn't mean it's the right tool for you.

The most significant change over the past 15 years or so, has been the move to digital. Notice I said "change" and not advancement. Somethin' to think about. ;)

~Daniel

The Yamaha MD8 is easier, maybe easiest, by slick nearly-analog design.

The 788 and most similar recorders are menu driven, and that's where I parted ways with modern recorder design.

The Fostex FD8 is about a middle ground between the straight simplicity of the MD8 and the menu driven hell of the 788. The FD8 has menus but it's not critical to dig deep into the menus for most operations.

whatever gets you thru night

yeah. the MD8. great unit.
if they'd had a 16 or 24 tracker I'd still own a Yammie MD.
fiber optic out would've been nice too for outputs...but for demo's its my #1 pick for 8tracker HR.

i was so frustrated with my first digi-menu unit... we got divorced.
the specs were oh so impressive!! but i hated life so much, i didn't get a fkn song done on it in three years... it sucked out all creative juices and ebergy for me. (kinda like my paying-job)

it was many,many years before i even considered digi-head world.

cjacek..i agree "whats right for you"...that goes for all the gear too IMO.

Back