Tascam 688 eq

Dandelion

I own this machine and am wondering if you can only EQ before recording and not after when it's down on tape. I have another tascam that will let you eq after the fact. Am I making a simple mistake or is that just the way it is? Any Leads?

Hey man,

You can absolutely eq tracks after the fact (during mixdown) as well as during the tracking process.

During tracking, I have the the whole thing in monitor mode, where I'm monitoring everything using the knob controls off to the right in the monitor section and using any number of programmed scenes depending on the tracking situation. When in this mode, you can only eq while tracking. Upon playback, all you can adjust is the levels and the panning using those knobs.

However, when you're ready to mixdown, or if you just want to switch to a mode that will allow you to eq existing tracks, switch to the preset scene 12 and switch the monitor mode over to Group 1+2. Now you control playback throught the mixer section rather than the monitor section and you have full eq capabilities. You of course control volume with a combination of the master fader and channel faders at this point rather than the knobs in the monitor section.

Hope this helps...let me know if you need it described in a different way as I may have some of the precise terminology wrong, but I'm certain of the basic concept of what I'm telling you as I've been using my 688 in this basic way for years. There are probably other configurations possible here as well. Do you have the manual?

Sorry if this is too dumbed-down or if I missed your point :).

Groovy

Thanks, when I get home from work i'll try that out. I knew that it must be something simple and I suspected the monitor mode. I do have the manual but i feel that i'm not up to snuff on my technical terms. I have a tascam 424mk3 and it is a different experience but i'm slowly learning the 688. I Appreciate the reply and let you know if it didn't work out.
kalen

Hey man,

You can absolutely eq tracks after the fact (during mixdown) as well as during the tracking process.

During tracking, I have the the whole thing in monitor mode, where I'm monitoring everything using the knob controls off to the right in the monitor section and using any number of programmed scenes depending on the tracking situation. When in this mode, you can only eq while tracking. Upon playback, all you can adjust is the levels and the panning using those knobs.

However, when you're ready to mixdown, or if you just want to switch to a mode that will allow you to eq existing tracks, switch to the preset scene 12 and switch the monitor mode over to Group 1+2. Now you control playback throught the mixer section rather than the monitor section and you have full eq capabilities. You of course control volume with a combination of the master fader and channel faders at this point rather than the knobs in the monitor section.

Hope this helps...let me know if you need it described in a different way as I may have some of the precise terminology wrong, but I'm certain of the basic concept of what I'm telling you as I've been using my 688 in this basic way for years. There are probably other configurations possible here as well. Do you have the manual?

Sorry to jump in but I do have a related question. If I connect audio to the
Hey man,

hello and sorry for jumping in but I do have a related question. If I connect to the LINE B (lets say listening to music) how can I assigne it where I can also use the EQ? Thank you.

I would have to get another in my shop to check but any input you select should be going to the EQ section so tape should be able to be EQ after recording. The switch array on the 688 has a lot of people confused- it is usually too much for a musician I am worried. But if the guy is in the presence of a good Engineer then he might explain it to you. It takes some trial and error to get used to it.

As I kind of remember the switch arrangement in the unit I had here if you assign the track to a channel rather than to the 2Trk outs those channels have the EQ while the 2 Trk does not. Could this be what you are having trouble with? I had a lot of trouble with scenes and programming this myself when I first came on to one and spent a few hours
working with it to make sure I had it clear in my mind. Keep in mind that I have experience with routing switchers from Sierra Systems we used at ESPN and other studios as well.
It really takes time to be come an expert with these and it is not a walk up and start using type board.

Back